Exhaust Manifold - bolts/leak

mickyficky

I noticed that my exhaust manifold (i think...white part in the photos?? :hide: ) is smoking and missing a bolt. They don't tick that bad like I've heard others say. There is a pretty constant smoke coming out where that bolt is missing.

Can someone offer some advise for repair? Also, how bad is it to drive it while it's smoking??

I know I've seen this before on the forum, but I couldn't find anything....

IMG00556-20100723-1226.jpg

Thanks

That's just your heat shield. Find a bolt the right size, and thread it home. Worst case, Manifesto's link will get you sorted if there is actually a manifold issue on your truck.

Exhaust leaks shouldn't produce visible smoke. I'm guessing you have a minor oil leak and it is running down there and justdrifting out of the hole when it burns off of the head or the manifold. Try tightening your valve covers (just torque to a frim snug with a screw driver), they are the usual suspect.

B

Thanks everyone.

If the bolt is just missing from the shield, then I can just leave it out....right?

The smoke is weird. Saw it first about 1 month ago. I thought it was a leak that was getting burned too, BUT the truck was sitting for 1-week and I started it today with the hood open (had to jump it) and the smoke was immediate. Not sure if would have time to heat up to burn the leaking oil....

I will try the valve covers and take a closer look.