Rough Idle

kcpath

92 v6 auto 4x4, 195K, with 5K on upper and lower rebuild.

the idle is rough when accelerating and at certain speeds you can feel it cutting out. almost like it's misfiring or the timing jumped. I have not checked the plugs, their new by the way, but I did pull the coil wires one at a time on the dist. cap to see if I could arc the wire to the dist cap on all cyls and they all have a strong spark on that end. no noticeable lines are cracked. I replaced all the tune up parts when I rebuilt the engine, rotor, wires, plugs, etc

another weirdo problem that happened this week is with my amp meter. normally it would show 13 or above when at idle and as I would rev up, the lights would get brighter. on my way home I notice the meter was slowing going down and the battery died while I was driving, the headlights went dim, the radio was coming in and out. I got home and it would not turn over at all after shutting it off. So I pulled the harness off the alternator and cleaned it, cleaned the battery posts and made sure everything was tight. After I got it jumped, the meter went back up like normal, the lights were bright...but it would get low after a while, then I would mess with the harness, then it would got back up. After a few days its staying near 11amps and I can have everything on and the battery not be drained if I'm driving it...of course at idle it will drop to like 9 or 10amps. It hasn't went dead yet, but the meter is not like it used to be and the lights used to be brighter.

All this happened within the last few days and the temperature in my area has bee 110 degrees Fahrenheit with 60/90% humidity.

sounds like its all electrical problems with the battery, alternator, and just bad connections.

have the battery and alternator checked and replaced if necessary and go pick up some electronic cleaner, try to get a good solid connection out of that plug.

Edited by jbdevega

• 5 weeks later...