98 pathy aircon question

Hey All,

I was wondering is there any filters for the A/C that I need to change? I started noticing that my A/C's cold air is not as cold as before.

Is there anything that needs cleaning or replacing?

Worth to note that I have a small leak in the big hose, I think it's for A/C (attached photo), it slightly leaks some oil, I suspect it's the refrigerant lubricant. Could it cause a leak in the A/C system and cause the aircon not to freeze air as it should?

pathykl5.jpg

In the dealership they told me not to worry about it and no need to change it.

Please guys, I need some help before I start going back and forth between shops.

Thanks.

I have the same leak. I just recharged my system with a can of refrigerant and it's been fine. I think it's a slow enough leak that I can get away with occasional recharges. I looked into replacing the hose, and you can't just replace the hose. You have to replace the whole low pressure side (of which that rubber hose is the main part). I doesn't look that technically difficult to do, and the part is about $120. The bigger PITA once that's done is to find someone to recharge the whole system with refrigerant. I was going to do it when I got more time.

You can have just the rubber part of the hose replaced, I just had a rubber hose and a metal hose replaced, took them to a hose shop (Amazon hose down here in Orlando), there should be similar places everywhere, on my metal line the clutch cable wore a hole thru it (in my sentra), they cut out the bad part and welded in a coupling, the rubber hose they replaced from fitting to fitting, it was reasonable also, less than $40 IIRC and took one day to do. Check your yellow pages for hose shops.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Thanks for your reply guys.

Can you please answer some questions I'm still wondering about please?

So this small leak IS the reason why my A/C is not as cold as before?

Isn't there an A/C filter or the like for the 98 Pathy to clean? Maybe something is clogged up in there? I've never cleaned it before.

If I want to replace that hose, will all the refrigerant escape? So I would need to refill it from empty with freon?

I can wrap a stop-leak adhesive tape (used for plumbing, gas pipes and car radiator hoses) on that hose and recharge the system with the missing freon. Will that work?

Thank you kindly.

The leak is most likely the reason your A/C is not as cold as it should be. I wouldn't call that a little leak either. I would replace the line. The refrigerant will escape (probably did already) and will need to be recharged properly by a shop. Most places should be able to do this.

Also, don't use "stop-leak" tape, it won't work.