Terrano Rm3 2.7 TD Auto What is this part ?

nasa

Terrano Rm3 2.7 TD Auto Has been slipping in gear for a couple of years.

Its like I sometimes read of the FAKE gear that these machines seem to go into on the highway.

Like an extra overdrive, Mine has been dropping out of this drive for about two years and the problem is just getting more and more common.

I have had the trans checked twice by auto trans place and they say nothing wrong there.

I have also replaced the electrical component on the injector pump.

Now it is at the stage that is only goes into full gear when really cold and as soon as it warms up it will drop out for the rest of the trip.

Its like you have all gears including overdrive but the rev counter just goes up and the engine revs a little more than usual.

have been looking for a solution to this for a long time. Then my batteries started going flat overnight. I took off the battery cables while engine was running and had good bright headlights so I assume the alternator was working.

Then I made that devastating mistake . I actually drove it with battery cables disconnected. Immediately everything seemed haywire and smoke started coming out of the dash. I shutdown and then had no power. I discovered 4 blown fuses and replaced them and the battery cables and everything seemed Ok again. But now it is like my alternator inset working because if I remove the batteries now the engine will stop immediately.

So I have disconnected the alternator and this stopped draining my batteries from overnight.

I found where the smoke came from it was a little box under the steering column which burnt out as the pics will show.

caseofthing.jpg

insidething.jpg

I took this box out and everything works except the alternator is not charging now and the lights-on warning and reverse beeper dose not work.

I don't know if this could cause the alternator to stop charging but after this went up in smoke no more is it charging. I have been charging the battery's at night and driving on them during the day. Everything seems to work OK LOL

I would look to replacing this thing first if I knew what to call it .

I can get a new alternator on EBay delivered from England for $230 AUD But it may be that this burnt out thing is stopping the alternator from charging I don't know. I know a mate that had a Cherokee auto and he had no end of trouble with the transmission and it turned out to be an electrical sensor by the battery. Has any body got any ideas ? .... Or even a name for the burnt out thing.???

What is it.??????? What dose it do.????? Why are most things working OK without it .???

Its like I sometimes read of the FAKE gear that these machines seem to go into on the highway.

Like an extra overdrive, Mine has been dropping out of this drive for about two years and the problem is just getting more and more common.

I have had the trans checked twice by auto trans place and they say nothing wrong there.

Now it is at the stage that is only goes into full gear when really cold and as soon as it warms up it will drop out for the rest of the trip.

Its like you have all gears including overdrive but the rev counter just goes up and the engine revs a little more than usual.

have been looking for a solution to this for a long time

That's the torque converter locking and unlocking, it's supposed to lock in at highway speeds for better mileage. It randomly unlocking may be a part of your electrical issue, or just old age. TCUs are pretty sensitive to electrical signals and can cause things to act pretty strange.

As for your little box, the TDs don't use externally regulated alternators do they? If so that might be what you turned into a crispy critter. If not then I dunno. :shrug:

that little box looks like the wiper amplifier, which is normally found under the hood near the wiper motor, the amplifier controls the variable speeds for the wipers, not 100% sure that is what it is but that is what it looks like so if you have variable wiper speeds try them and see if they work.

just looked in Nissan FAST program for overseas models under the electrical units for Terrano with the diesel engine and it shows 2 boxes that look similiar to the one you posted called "Control unit Immobilser" but doesn't show where they are located, and when I tried to get a part number for them it says no applicable part number found so ??

any chance you can get me the complete number ( the one that starts with 285) off of that part I can't read it all in the pic,

Edited by ahardb0dy

Thanks guys for the info up to date.

I tried the wipers and the wiper timer works well.

If I set on three seconds three seconds they are and if I set on 8 or 13 seconds they work accordingly. So it appears the thing has nothing to do with the wiper control.

I have the best5 pic I can get of the part number.

idofthing.jpg

idofthing2.jpg

I think it reads number 2854C83G00

Could this be correct.

Do you think this part may be stopping my alternator from charging.

Ok, using Nissan FAST program for Japanese models I found this, that part number comes up as "control assy", and has a alternate part number of 28540-83G01 which comes up as "Control Assy - Shift Lock" the first number comes up the same thing

the reason nothing came up the first time I was looking is I was looking under the terrano section which was model R20, but than I noticed the years started in 94, so I looked online and discovered your terrano is under the WD21 model and than the part number came up to what I just posted.

To you think yo umaby stressed the alt. makign it overwork driving it with no batterys connected? Any local parts stores or shops you can go to to get it checked just to make sure? Overworkign it could have caused somethign internally in it to get a little toasty and melty causing an internal short which could be your overnight drain :shrug:

Thank you ahrdbody.

I have found that the vehicle has a shift lock so that the shift stick cant be moved with the engine stopped .

To prevent child from bumping out of lock position while car is parked I would presume.

There is an override button that you have to press to move the gear shift with the engine stopped for working on things.

I have been using this override button even with the engine running. Because it stopped working.

So that will be why. The burnt out thing is to lock the gearshift unless the engine is running.

Thank you for that verification.