What Rancho RS9000x shocks for 7" lift ?

q2h

Hi,

I'm planning to put the Trailmaster 4" along with Calmini 3" suspension lift on '92 PF and I would like to use Rancho RS9000x shocks... but Rancho told me that they don't make shocks for Nissan Pathfinder with 7" lift.

Has anyone used the RS9000x with 6 or 7 inches lift ? If so, what Rancho shocks did you use ?

If you did not use Rancho shocks, what shocks did you use and the model # ?

Thank you,

Q2H

:help: :help: :help: :help:

No, other way round, the maximum lift you can get from a stock height WD21 is 3" on the suspension, as you run out of movement on the front end. As it is with a 3" the A arms will be hard up against the bumpstops. You can get more out of the back as 88 keeps doing, but the front end is very limited. A 4" body lift and 3" suspension lift is the best you can do before you have serious issues with alsorts of things. Won't go into detail. So in that case you can still run stock shocks, but they do make Rancho's to accomodate the extra travel possible in the rear, as for the front, well whats the point??? Its never going to travel more than it did fresh from the factory!!

No, you're wrong again. You CAN stack suspension lifts. You can install the Trailmaster 4" drop-down lift and a 3" Calmini, AC or Superlift kit. That'd be 7" of true suspension lift. The only ones you can't stack are UCA lifts(Calmini, AC or Superlift).

The stock height replacement REAR RS9000 shock # is RS99018. That shock is 14.25" compressed and 20.125" extended. 7.875 total inches of travel. L1 mounting eye both ends.

A #RS99034 is 20.125" compressed and 34" extended with 13.875" of total travel. L1 mounting eye both ends.

A #RS99036 is 21.125" compressed and 36.125" extended with 15" of total travel. L1 mounting eye both ends.

You pick. The 9036 will give you more travel(obviously), but if you keep the rear swaybar, you'll probably never get it to extend that far, so I'd go with the 9034's for mild offroad use.

On the front shocks, I believe you can just go with the ones supplied with the Trailmaster lift and you should be OK as long as you don't use any balljoint spacers with aftermarket UCA's.

I got the shock specs here: http://www.gorancho.com/documents03/03_catalog_specs_1.pdf

Thank you everyone for responding to my question, especially '88pathoffroad' for spending the time looking up the shocks information.

Should I even consider putting dual shocks for both front and rear ?

Q2H

you can get away with front shocks that will accomodate a 4" lift for the front ... because you aren't increasing the travel, just making it more alignable with cranked torsions when you are using the calmini lift ...

the rear's should be easy as you will just need a double eye'd shock, but you will need to do some measuring and figure out the length you want ... be aware that with that much lift in the rear, you may or may not need to mod the cross member that sits just aft of the rear transmission output due to clearance issues with the driveshaft ... especially if your shocks are too long ...

Dammit, i was thinking that the whole time i was writing the post, what if he is using the kit that drops the front crossmember down.

Just out of curiosity then, simply for my own intrest, the 4" drop down kit doesn't require you to adjust the torsion bars at all?? All the lift is in the droping down of the crossmember and diff housing etc??

So at the back they supply you with new coils that raise the rear 4"??

So if you were to stack the two suspension lift kits together how exactly does that work??

The only way i can see you could stack is if the trailmaster kit involved a full 4" drop down at the front, leaving Torsion bars as they are, and then a pair of 4" spring spacers for the rear, retaining your OE springs. Then you could get the 3" lift kit with the new springs and Tbars and using the spring spacers, get the extra 3".

Is that how it works?? Other wise i don't see anyone getting 7" out of either end with out getting some springs made to spec. Can't stack coils on top of each other!!!!!

So now I've explained my thoughts, left my self wide open to reason, how does it work?? :confused:

By the way, what funky things does the kit supply in the way of Transfercase crossmember spacers or what ever to correct the drive line angles and correct the sine wave calculated vibration cancelling of the opposing universal joints which will deffinately start to create problems at those sort of angles.

Sceptic huh :D