Stalling every startup and low idle.

So I installed a new steel bumper and as per procedure, disconnected the battery and front driver and passenger airbags prior to installation. Everything went fine, the new bumper is on, and all connections and parts were properly installed.

Upon start up the pathy is now idling between 500 and 700 rpm, stalling with every start. I had a service engine soon light, so I reset the ECU (because I had the same issues immdiately after installing a K&N intake) and did the relearning procedures. However, they're not working this time. last time after I reset everything the pathy went back to normal. Now it won't, but it also hasn't lit the SES light again.

I also had a problem with the moonroof, but a quick read through the owners manual helped me out there.

Edited by pathlesstaken

So I installed a new steel bumper and as per procedure, disconnected the battery and front driver and passenger airbags prior to installation. Everything went fine, the new bumper is on, and all connections and parts were properly installed.

Upon start up the pathy is now idling between 500 and 700 rpm, stalling with every start. I had a service engine soon light, so I reset the ECU (because I had the same issues immdiately after installing a K&N intake) and did the relearning procedures. However, they're not working this time. last time after I reset everything the pathy went back to normal. Now it won't, but it also hasn't lit the SES light again.

I also had a problem with the moonroof, but a quick read through the owners manual helped me out there.

how are your connections form the battery? cleaned them before putting back together?

how are your connections form the battery? cleaned them before putting back together?

yes they're clean. I have a feeling it's going to be a bad MAF. I'm going to try other stuff first, new plugs, fuel filter, cleaning throttle body, etc, before I go drop cash on a new MAF though. Anybody have any other suggestions?

to confirm or not if it is the maf.... unplug it... see if the problem changes or stays the same....

When the engine is cool, the truck starts ok, when the engine is warm, it starts, then dies. When I unlplug the MAF with a cool engine, it idles rough(er) than with the MAF plugged in, when I unplug the MAF with a warm engine it dies, and when I unplugged the MAF it triggered the SES light.

Edited by pathlesstaken

When the engine is cool, the truck starts ok, when the engine is warm, it starts, then dies. When I unlplug the MAF with a cool engine, it idles rough(er) than with the MAF plugged in, when I unplug the MAF with a warm engine it dies, and when I unplugged the MAF it triggered the SES light.

how about the air temp sensor, in the bottom of the lower air box, behind the bumper. i dont know if it would affect anything that drastically, but couldnt hurt to make sure it didnt fall out (like mine likes to)

Depending on how long the battery was disconnected, you may need to do the idle air volume learning procedure. If you're still having the problem then I would troubleshoot or replace the MAF.

Also, the 2003 models have the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor built into the MAF sensor.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I just read that you did the relearning procedures. I would start by troubleshooting the MAF.

Edited by PwninOBrien

• 2 months later...

Hello. I was wandering what the resolution was. I have a 2003 Pathy with a K&N air intake system (or fuel injection kit as they call it now). I bought my pathy used and it always has a low idle (between 600-700), but I recently had a car alarm installation which triggered a chain of events that included me having to replace the ECM, APP (Accelerator Pedal Position sensor) - nifty little sensor attached to the gas pedal. Now it shuts off as soon as I start it. To keep it running I have to give it a little gas as soon as I start it. I have replaced also replaced the MAF. The dealer reprogrammed the new ECM and got stuck on the idle learning. The system just will not idle high enough. I have a code reader so after I drove it home, the new code that came up is P0506 (the kicker ---the check engine light is not on).

I am wondering if the PVC valve is bad, but it's hard to get to. I have also read that the throttle body could be bad (the 2003 pathfinders have a sensor driven throttle body --no cable connection from the gas pedal to the throttle body like in older cars).

So, if you have any new information. That would get great.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I was wandering what the resolution was. I have a 2003 Pathy with a K&N air intake system (or fuel injection kit as they call it now). I bought my pathy used and it always has a low idle (between 600-700), but I recently had a car alarm installation which triggered a chain of events that included me having to replace the ECM, APP (Accelerator Pedal Position sensor) - nifty little sensor attached to the gas pedal. Now it shuts off as soon as I start it. To keep it running I have to give it a little gas as soon as I start it. I have replaced also replaced the MAF. The dealer reprogrammed the new ECM and got stuck on the idle learning. The system just will not idle high enough. I have a code reader so after I drove it home, the new code that came up is P0506 (the kicker ---the check engine light is not on).

I am wondering if the PVC valve is bad, but it's hard to get to. I have also read that the throttle body could be bad (the 2003 pathfinders have a sensor driven throttle body --no cable connection from the gas pedal to the throttle body like in older cars).

So, if you have any new information. That would get great.

Thanks!

[/qoute]

problem is still not resolved. A month and a half ago I ran a reader to see what the problem was, I ended up throwing a bunch of codes. including P0506 and the ever wonderful MAF sensor and of course the powervalve control unit.

I'm going to do an entire tune up and rip all that crap out and clean everything that I can't replace.