torsion re-indexing

Guest audiosportconcepts

Guest audiosportconcepts

I put the f-100 springs in the rear of my pathy , but instead of cutting the pigtail off, i heated it up and bent it out to the 4" diameter i needed. That jacked the hiney end up significantly. I bet it raised it a good 2 1/2 " maybe 3". My shocks are all the way topped out. (and suprisingly enough it rides darn good). So I cranked the torsions to the max and it still needs to go up another 1" to 1 1/2" in the front. So if I re-index my torsions can I get that much more out of them? Or should I cut the back springs down?

I would try re-indexing them. If it gives you the extra space you need, consider that it might prematurely wear ball joints, unless new Upper Control Arms are installed or at least some ball-joint spacers. There's word that the Automotive Customizers ball joint spacers will wear your UCA's out. Read around and find out.

chances are you are going to want more lift anyways ... the best way to do it is to get new torsion bars that are 30% stiffer than stock, which will allow you to run a lower spring preload (basically the initial crank to get the front where you want it) and then get a pair of aftermarket UCA's to make it more alignable and gain a little bit of flex as well ...

Guest audiosportconcepts

Thanks for the info, Not to sound retarded, but if I just go out and get upper control arms, how much lift will that give me? :huh:

Just getting new UCA's will give you no lift. What they do is allow you to crank the Torsion bars up higher and still retain acceptable angles on your ball joints. You can crank the T-bars without new UCA's, but the ball joints will reach extreme angles, and wear out much quicker.

Guest audiosportconcepts

Oh ok, thank you for the info, I think for right now, I'm just going to get the 1" ball joint spacers and maybe re-index. Thanx man :aok: Cause my truck looks ridiculous with the hind end up in the air like that and the front is squatting