Converting 27 spline WARN hubs to 28 spline

unccpathfinder

Alright so here's the skinny on this one...I shattered a hub on my truck in CA and kept all the pieces...I bought some from a guy who sold me the wrong set he sold me a 27 spline set and I needed a 28 spline...(Don't get confused about the details of my truck b/c it is an 87 truck but i need the 28 spline hubs since my truck is a 95 2 door) So being the engineer I had a feeling that everything was the same in these hubs except for the spline center...long story short that's a true statement.

I didn't read and I thought I saw a spring washer but didnt mess with it...I took the assumption it would just press out...bad idea I broke the casting and then verified I needed to pull the spring washer...so lesson # 1 DON'T TRY TO PRESS OUT THE SPLINED GEAR

28 spline vs 27 spline...I cant even remember which was which:

IMG00907-20100617-2109.jpg

Same story:

IMG00909-20100617-2110.jpg

Don't press it out:

IMG00916-20100617-2131.jpg

IMG00918-20100617-2132.jpg

Step 1:

remove cap

IMG00915-20100617-2124.jpg

Step 2: remove spring retainer washer and the gear will then come free of the bushing be sure not to loose the flat washer on the inside of the housing but its probably stuck to the gear or housing with grease so be sure not to double them up when you reassemble.

IMG00911-20100617-2114.jpg

Step 3: clean everything up the one that shattered was covered in crease and sand so I used a Q-tip and paper towel to clean it up good (exploded view)

IMG00913-20100617-2123.jpg

Step 4: you can press the busing out if you want but I had no reason...everything looked good so i skipped this one

Step 5: put flat washer on splined gear (make sure its the right spline you want to convert to) and pass gear through bushing and install spring washer

IMG00914-20100617-2124.jpg

Step 6: make sure splined gear rotates freely and apply a little grease but not too much

Step 7: install on truck or place cap back on until it will be installed

All my spare parts and 2 28 splined hubs 1 of which used to be 27:

IMG00919-20100617-2134.jpg

Hope that helps someone out there who may go through the same thing and can find a deal on nissan WARN hubs and can convert them over

I should say the PN's that I was swapping between were: WARN-28739 and WARN-29091

I think those spline rings can also be bought seperate from warn. they offer a weaker set that is meant to break before your CV does so that you can change it quickly on the trail and finish your day and or get home easy(er).

I don't know if the "strong" rings that come with the hub are available but the "breakable" rings are pretty cheap IIRC.

Edited by MY1PATH

Any idea if this can be done with a 28 spline auto factory hub and a 27 spline warn manual? j/w wink.gif

NO WAY, the Nissan auto interals are quite differant than the Warn aftermarket locking hub.

Edited by MY1PATH

• 4 months later...