need help finishing alarm install 1990 terrano 3 door

bradh79

has anyone done an alarm install on a terry i got a mongoose alarm and got it all installed besides the door switch wire because when i took the door switch black button out on the dirvers side there is 3 wires in there anyone know which wire i need to hook it up to for it to work with all 3 door mechs? i also need a drivers door central locking motor if anyone has one :)

(-) Black/Red in the kick panel (LH kick panel on the LH Drive models, yours may be in the RH kick panel) And according to my notes, I wired it through a 12v relay. But I will try and verify that tomorrow thumbsup.gif

EDIT: See post #5

Edited by RedPath88
No Relay

My notes were on a wiring schematic and what I wrote in for the door locks was directly above my notes about the dome light. The relay is used on the dome light, not on the door locks.

But that is only because my alarm was able to be set for a negative(-) pulse for the door lock/unlock circuit. If yours can only output a positive(+) signal, then you will have to use a relay on it :aok:

Mine is a mongoose alarm and it can be either by changing a jumper inside the alarm do you mean the kick panel next to the accelerator or on the back doors where the door switch is just under the drivers seat belt mount or where all the central locking controls are

By the accelerator :aok:

i have a feeling we are both talking about 2 differant things i want the wire that is switched on to turn on the interior light when the door is opened and in turn set the alarm off

not the wire for the central locking as i already worked that out myself

Ok yes we were, sorry about that.

For the input used to trigger the alarm when the door is opened, you want to use the RED/BLACK wire that is in the front kick panel. There are two of them (red/black wires), so you need to probe them both to see which one shows a negetive(-) signal when the door is open.

As long as your alarm is looking for a negetive(-) input, then you can connet directly to this wire, no relay is used as it is a direct input to the alarm module.

Ok yes we were, sorry about that.

For the input used to trigger the alarm when the door is opened, you want to use the RED/BLACK wire that is in the front kick panel. There are two of them (red/black wires), so you need to probe them both to see which one shows a negetive(-) signal when the door is open.

As long as your alarm is looking for a negetive(-) input, then you can connet directly to this wire, no relay is used as it is a direct input to the alarm module.

ok cool and will that work for the boot aswell or is that a differant wire again?

The boot?

If by that you mean the rear hatch/door, then it will work. When you open the rear door it energizes the front interior light as well, so it will trip the alarm just as opening a front door would thumbsup.gif

I plan to wire in a new switch for the rear glass as well. This will be wired to trip the alarm if opened when armed. I am also thinking of linking it to the interior lights as well.

Edited by RedPath88

The boot?

trunk, back door, hatch

and just to let you know the red and black wire worked perfectly thanks but it isnt earthed with the back trunk door

Edited by bradh79

added more to the post above...

Strange, mine shows earth when any door is opened including the rear hatch.

There is a diode in the rear door/light system that, as I understand it, prevents the rear light from being turned on when the front door opens, but allows the front light to be turned on by the rear door. Perhaps you have tapped the line on the wrong side of that diode? Although, I don't think that would matter. since it should show power on both sides of the diode when the hatch is opened (it should only prevent power from going front to rear, not rear to front)

I suggest that you verify the wire again and also check the other red/black one.

added more to the post above...

Strange, mine shows earth when any door is opened including the rear hatch.

There is a diode in the rear door/light system that, as I understand it, prevents the rear light from being turned on when the front door opens, but allows the front light to be turned on by the rear door. Perhaps you have tapped the line on the wrong side of that diode? Although, I don't think that would matter. since it should show power on both sides of the diode when the hatch is opened (it should only prevent power from going front to rear, not rear to front)

I suggest that you verify the wire again and also check the other red/black one.

yeah i just chucked my probe light on the wire and it does activate with the back door

but when i turn my alarm on and then use the key to open it it doesnt set the alarm off for some reason it is weird

That is strange... it does when you open a front door, but not the back?

Makes no sense scratchheadyellow.gif

tell me about it lol

might be because my battery is flat in my car will try swapping that and see if it helps it was running off a charger

Edited by bradh79