Burning Smell

jrvanas

Hey everyone,

When I went to lunch today I had this burning smell in my car. It seemed to go away after a while and did not come back when I drove back to work. I just changed the oil about 500 miles ago and everything seemed normal when changing. There is plenty of coolant in the radiator.

Any ideas? I will let people know if I smell it once I drive home from work this afternoon?

~jrvanas

Hey there jrvanas. I suggest you stop 'burning one' during lunch... problem solved ! No really, what you need is someone with a really good sniffer. Oil smells way different than brakes/clutch or wire insulation/synthetic stuff. Of course look around also, but drive it in hot to a good machanic you know, and I bet he points out the problem in 5 minutes... Also, check to see if ALL the electrical works. Could be you shorted/grounded out somewhere and got a '1 time' smell until the wire fried/fuse blew... Good luck !

Bernard

Last time I had that smell, I had an exhaust leak under the drivers foot well and the carpet almost caught fire.

WOW that same thing happened to me but it DID burn a hole in my carpet. The smell keeps commin back and I changed the "flange gaskets" or whatever they are called last night and today on my way to work i swear that stuff was starting up again.

I started a post called "Motor Mounts" to see if anyone else has had the problem.

Rami

No smell last night or this morning on the way to work. Wonder if I just got stuck behind a tar truck or something and did not realize it?? Too paranoid about my baby!

:bow:

~jrvanas

To make sure it didn't happen again, I made myself a heat shield out of furnace ducting. This insures that future leaks wont warm up my carpet. If you do this, make sure you fasten it good to avoid ratlles. ;)