How To Install A Msd 6Al Ignition?

Scaramoche

Well today is my b-day, and i got a msd 6al ignition system, and coil from my brother. Im not sure how to install this. ie ignition type(think it's the white wire one).

either way any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have a 1989 Pathfinder, vg30i

if you have pictures, or a wireing diagram that would help a great deal

:search: There's TONS of threads on it...

MY1PATH has the complete system in his truck, it's pretty badass. I'm sure he'll chime in...

Edited by Kingman

:search: There's TONS of threads on it...

MY1PATH has the complete system in his truck, it's pretty badass. I'm sure he'll chime in...

ya im reading up on it now.

found the box of goodies my little bro gave me has the following

msd 6al

msd blaster ss coil

msd tach adapter.

i believe the following is my wiring

msd.png

now i just need to figure out where to wire the "white" one :P

ya im reading up on it now.

found the box of goodies my little bro gave me has the following

msd 6al

msd blaster ss coil

msd tach adapter.

i believe the following is my wiring

now i just need to figure out where to wire the "white" one :P

from the output from your current dizzy to the current coil, all the 6AL does is take the signal from your dizzy to the coil and modify it to fire 4-8 times per stroke as oppose to one. simple to hook up, and your gonna love how it runs, however, a word of warning, if you have the red box one, and not the black "offroad" version, mount it on SLIM rubber mounts (rubber washers work good) and mount it solid to the sheet metal, they dont like being beat around at all!!

On the TBI you will need the MSD pn 8910-eis to make the tachometer work. Untill you get that unit you can hook it up white wire and run without a tach untill you get it. It's pretty simple I mounted mine to the vertical fenderwall next to the battery (had to slide the battery over a bit)

+/- are the heavy wires to the battery.

your black wire between the coil and transistor on the truck will be you 12v switched positive so the MSD red and orange wires get spliced in there

your blue wire between the coil and transistor on the truck will be you negitve so the MSD white and black wires get spliced in there

Once you get you 8910-eis disconnect the MSD white wire and splice the EIS white wire in its place.

The EIS red wire gets spliced whre the MSD red wire is (12v switched) BOTH MSD AND EIS WIRES are spliced to your black wire.

Plug the green & purple EIS wires into the MSD box and you will now have a working tach.

Using an aftermarket coil with the MSD box creates more juice than the TBI dizzy can handle. You may experice burnt rotors, misfires(maybe), and wear thru your cap and rotors pretty fast. My solution to this was to run a dizzy from a 90-95 pathy all the reasons and details can be found here;

Converting To A 90-95 Distributor

or you could just run the stock coil with the box until you get to the dizzy swap.

Lasly, plug gap and heat range... MSD reccomends going 1-2 ranges colder and increasing the gap in .005" increments untill best performance is found. It runs pretty good @ a .050" gap (.006" larger than stock) and is plenty big gap so I din't push it any farther than that.

Heat Range...the tbi plug is an NGK bcpr5e-11 (thats NGK heat range 5) one range colder is a bcpr6e-11

NGK bkr6ey is also 1 range colder and is used in the 90-95 pathfinders(do you see an ignition trend here?) anyway the bkr6ey protrudes 3/64" deeper into the cyl (closer to 1/16" once gaped to .050) this allows the heat range to cover a broader range of temps since it is closer to the intake air stream. It also makes for more regualar combustion because its closer to the bulk of the mixture and because the combustion does not have to travel as far before it reaches the piston.

I have been having pretty good results with the bkr6ey so far and don't wory, even gaped @ .050" there is still plenty of mechanical clearance for this plug to run safely inside your engine.

Once said and done you should have a smoother idle and smoother acceleration and it may even feel a bit stronger. enjoi

and thanks for shrinking your sig pic smile.gif

Edited by MY1PATH

thanks 1path, and everyone.

it's 130am, just got a new toolbox for my bday, and been arranging tools hehe, tomorrow when i get up, have a pot of coffee, im going to do the swap.

I do have the pn8910 for tach, as well as msd coil.

I know they work, cause my brother pulled them off his 89 pathy he crashed :P. I think im going to hold off on the coil though, I read your right up on swapping dizzy's a week or so ago, and need to make a run to the JY to grab on(probably grabe a valve cover to beat up as well)

thanks, and will update.

ill try and take pic's so others can do as well

What kind of performance gains do these things actually offer to our older trucks? I've been tempted to get one for my '90 if/when I get to the engine rebuild and/or VG33E swap (depending on which I go with)... are these really worth it?