Should I Make This Motorcycle Trade?

swapdip

I have 2 bikes and I'm looking to expand the fleet with a smaller bike for my girlfriend. A fella about an hour from me has a bike to offer, and it would be perfect for her first time ride. Here's the situation, do you guys think I should make the trade?

He has:

1994 Ninja 500 w/24k

Comes with: all kinds of body parts, new gloves and helmet, repair manual, clean title, etc

Needs: clutch line, air filter, carb work. Repair investment should be about $50 and 5 hours of my own labor, if of course he is representing his bike accurately (I havent seen it yet)

I have:

$200

an old 230v air compressor, ugly but works great

impact wrench, sockets, accessory kit like tire filler and reducers and all kinds of stuff

digital infrared industrial thermometer

size 11 steel toe boots

electric drill

What do you guys think, good deal or no?

Edited by swapdip

Not enough information, but it sounds like a bit for a 94 Ninja 500. Think of what all you listed would cost individually... Personally, I probably wouldn't part with the torque wrench and sockets. What kind of thermometer?? I've been debating getting one...

B

I'm not a bike person but a 16 year old Ninja don't have much value around here... specially one with known issues plus who knows whats not being told. Your trading your boots?

Your trading your boots?

Haha they don't fit me got em for free. Likewise the compressor and tools, which I don't really use much because I know how to wrench and the gas station down the street has free air. So these things are pretty worthless to me, but attractive to him. Also, down here in Florida the riding season is like 11 months so there are lots of bikes around, I've been wanting to get my girl on her own bike for a while so I can finally stretch out my legs on the road...

Haha they don't fit me got em for free.

Nobody gives me free size 11 steel toes...

seroiusly though by standards HERE, your gettign the raw end of the deal. And like I said I ain't a bike person.

I think 24K is a bit much for that motor. I had a CBR 900RR that threw a rod at 22K and the shop guys said its pretty common. If that Kawi has been wound up most of its life (its a 500, so that's likely) it might be ready to pop. I'd sell your stuff and look to pay cash for something else. FL is crawling with good used 600s. I'm also a bit curious why it comes with "all kinds of body parts". But like you said, the stuff you're trading doesn't have much value to you so it might be worth it.

I had a CBR 900RR that threw a rod at 22K and the shop guys said its pretty common.

Really?? I'm out of the superbike scene these days but I had not heard of that. Always thought the 900RRs were pretty bad animals!! Maybe it was rider related?? :D

Well, I have a 01 CBR1100XX that needs a home after I dust it off this weekend. 20K and runs like the 140hp sport touring bike I have it set up as. Any takers?? :D

B

Trade random stuff you don't use that has little value to you for a bike for your girl so you can ride together? Sounds like a no brainer to me! I have a suggestion if you're worried about the sketchyness of the bike since it doesn't run right at the moment: Make the deal with all the details worked out on the condition that you supply the parts and labor and get the bike running right. Then after spending $50 and an afternoon if you don't like the way it runs you can walk away. You're only out $50 and some time. (Time your girl knows you're spending for her, even if the bike doesn't work out.) :sly: That way if, say, it's got a funky noise in the bottom end you couldn't hear 'cuz it ran like crap you don't end up stuck with it. Now I'm not saying anything bad about girls on bikes.... but a 500 Ninja that comes with extra body parts can be a really good starter bike for a chick! :aok:

but a 500 Ninja that comes with extra body parts can be a really good starter bike for a chick! :aok:

Yeah that's why I chose this one, its a perfect size and weight for her. We got it today and it is basically what I expected, a little rough but after a couple of weekends should be good to go! It even came with over 200 bucks in spare parts and body pieces I'll never use, so ebay gods willing I should make my money back.

Super stoked!

Y'know, it'll prolly work out fine for you. Have fun on it and don't listen to me. Ever. I'm a skeptical naysayer by nature.

Really?? I'm out of the superbike scene these days but I had not heard of that. Always thought the 900RRs were pretty bad animals!! Maybe it was rider related??

well, the oil pick up being located toward the front of the pan could have played a part. :rolleyes:

Edited by jj big shoe