Who bought an R50 after owning a WD21?

abomb1

I'm seriously considering trading my 94 Pathfinder for a 2001. Doing this will give me much more power, fewer miles, less interior noise, and maybe a little more room than my current Pathfinder. I know I'll be giving up some offroad use by going to a stock R50 from my lifted 94, but as much as I go offroad I don't know if its worth keeping the 94. The repairs have really added up on my 94 which always keeps me wondering what's next.

So the one I'm looking at is a 2001 manual transmission SE with 50,000 miles. Are there any things I should be looking for or any major repairs needed soon on this vehicle?

For those who have moved to a newer Pathfinder from the older body style, do you ever regret making the switch? That's the biggest concern of mine right now.

i haven't switched from a WD21, but i've owned a 97 for 5 years and the only complaint I have is lack of aftermarket items....(Suspension, bumpers, performance items, etc...) Other than that, i love my 97.

I would check out the aftermarked world first and find which year R50 has the most parts available for your liking!

Good Luck

There is a guy on here, Blizzardking I beleive his name is (a moderator too...?), who switched from a WD21 to an R50. I remember him saying he liked the power and the ride better. But since you're considering an 01, that should have even more power due to the 3.5 in there. The only problem almost everyone has had with their R50's is the rear bushings going bad, but I don't know if this is an issue with the 01's, since Nissan supposedly fixed the problem with the 99.5 redesign. As for offroadability, I really don't think you'll lose that much. Sure, you can't do a body lift, but with L&P's new lifts (still haven't seen one yet :angry: ), you can have all the height/clearance you need. The R50's also have the beefier 33 spline H233B, though you can only get an ARB for it. there is also a guy over on AC's board, intensem1rider, who made the switch. He seems to have no regrets. Hope this helps ;)

Big_J, they're still working on finishing it. Lee did a lot of work on it this past week and it should be done pretty soon, I know it was supposed to be done a long time ago, but, ish happens, and they had a lot of ish. Just be patient, besides, wouldn't you rather have them take a little longer and do it right, then bang it out quick and have something fall out on you on the freeway?

There is also a lift available from Japan that will give 6" of lift, but it's mucho dinero, I'd rather wait for Lee to finish up his, and besides, I'd rather give my business to someone I "know" over some company in Japan that would cost me $3000....(how's that for a run-on sentence...)

Big_J, they're still working on finishing it. Lee did a lot of work on it this past week and it should be done pretty soon, I know it was supposed to be done a long time ago, but, ish happens, and they had a lot of ish. Just be patient, besides, wouldn't you rather have them take a little longer and do it right, then bang it out quick and have something fall out on you on the freeway?

There is also a lift available from Japan that will give 6" of lift, but it's mucho dinero, I'd rather wait for Lee to finish up his, and besides, I'd rather give my business to someone I "know" over some company in Japan that would cost me $3000....(how's that for a run-on sentence...)

Very true...I'm not in any hurry to get one (broke college kid), but I'm very excited to see the finished product. I know that Lee and Phil have been having some personal issues and still have dealt with the business very well, they're just doing all they can for the time being. I'm just dying to see an R50 stateside with more than 2-3" lift (besides keith's creation :D)

Thanks for all the advice! Last night I picked up my 01 Pathfinder and I am VERY happy! It is the manual transmission SE with the 3.5L engine, so I have 250hp. I also noticed last night that it does have the LSD in the rear axle. The ride is much better and quieter, and there is more leg room for my daughter to sit behind my seat when I'm driving. It was kind of sad last night when I left the old one at the dealership after I had done so much to it (repairs, repairs, repairs). My new vehicle has 100,000 less miles and 100 more horsepower, so I have nothing to complain about here! I have been watching this Pathfinder for the last couple of months sitting at the dealership waiting for the price to drop lower and lower. Because it is a manual transmission there aren't as many people interested in it. To me its a bonus since it is more fun to drive and gets an extra 10hp over the automatic transmission.

I look forward to learning more about my new Pathfinder from all of you who own them.

Thanks again for the advice! :beer:

My 01 Pathfinder

I had a 92 SE 4wd, traded on a 97 Mitsu Montero Sport LS 4wd, lifted it and traded it after a few years for my 02 LE pathy - no complaints at all. This is the nicest vehicle that I've ever owned. Now it's not just a grocery getter, but a trail rig that I can drive daily. more than happy with the decision. The power bump with the 3.5L is more than worth it. The VQ is one serious power plant!

Sure, you can't do a body lift, but with L&P's new lifts (still haven't seen one yet :angry: ), you can have all the height/clearance you need. The R50's also have the beefier 33 spline H233B, though you can only get an ARB for it. there is also a guy over on AC's board, intensem1rider, who made the switch. He seems to have no regrets. Hope this helps ;)

Hi,

This may be an amateur question but Why can't you do a body lift on a 01 Pathfinder?

And what are 33 spline H233B? What's an ARB? :confused:

I'm new to this so if anyone can explain it I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

All Pathfinders from 1996 on have been unibody construction, meaning there isn't a separate frame and body. It is all one piece like most cars and Jeep Cherokees and many other SUV's today.

The H233B I believe is the name of the axle, but I'm not up on what that means. ARB is a brand of locker for the differential.

Yeah, H233B is the type of axle found under the pathfinders (just like jeeps have Dana 44's, 35's etc.), older pathy's had 31 spline shafts, newer ones have 33 splines. ARB is the only brand to make a locker for the 33 spline H233B. ;)