Just Purchased 1995 Pathfinder got some Questions

95Finder

I just purchased a 1995 Pathfinder with 120 k on it from a friends father for $1000.00. Only things that need to be fixed or replaced are rotors and brake pads. He just got a new battery for it, but the battery light, a/t temp light, and parking brake light are on. It has been sitting for a while with the new battery. Could this cause all the lights to be on or is it most likely the alternator? Thanks.

1 check your a/t fluid level and condition of the fluid.

2 its been sitting for how long? that will make the battery weak.

3 check your brake fluid level. if your fluid level is low enough the BRAKE light will come on or the ABS light will come on.

and try resetting the computer too (disconnect the pos batt cable and leave off for about 3-5 min then reconnect cable) B)

if it does it while it is running, then there is a very good chance that it is the alternator ... a good way to check is to see what the voltage is at the battery, and then check it with various accessories turned on, like the headlights, a/c or even the blower... it should be anywhere from 12.5v to 14.5 volts ... a little over or under wont hurt anything, but presuming it is the alternator, you would likely see something more like 11 or or less depending on how much load there is, and how much charge the battery actually has... in this case, it is an easy fix to swap the alternator... shouldn't be more than 90 bucks tops to get a new alternator with a lifetime warranty from say shucks or Napa, depending on where you like to shop ...

if it does it while it is running, then there is a very good chance that it is the alternator ... a good way to check is to see what the voltage is at the battery, and then check it with various accessories turned on, like the headlights, a/c or even the blower... it should be anywhere from 12.5v to 14.5 volts ... a little over or under wont hurt anything, but presuming it is the alternator, you would likely see something more like 11 or or less depending on how much load there is, and how much charge the battery actually has... in this case, it is an easy fix to swap the alternator... shouldn't be more than 90 bucks tops to get a new alternator with a lifetime warranty from say shucks or Napa, depending on where you like to shop ...

What if he just got a new battery but it has been sitting for a while. Could the alternator be good and the battery just needs to be charged by it? Thanks for the reply, you said I could find an alternator for $90.00? Where? I have searched and the least expensive one I could find was for $112.00 at Advanced Auto Parts. Thanks.

Best way to find out if it's your alternator, dissconect your battery while it's idling, if it shuts off, it's your battery. If all your lights are on and it's due to your alternator, your alternator is not pushing enough voltage and it will shut down if no battery power is supplied.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
all of my cars die no matter how good the battery is, if it get's disconnected.

try autozone or pep boys for cheaper parts...

that's because while the method works great for older carbureted cars, newer ECU cars require a complete circuit to the battery or it will shut down. In computer controlled cars prior to this safety circuit, that method was a great way to burn up your ECU, caused by an immediate increase in resistance, coupled with a surge from the alternator coming to full charging capacity.

thanks,

json

• 2 weeks later...

Have fun with the front rotors :) I did my Sentra twice and figured the Path couldn't be any different... until I had my front hubs and wheel berrings in my hand :wacko:

all of my cars die no matter how good the battery is, if it get's disconnected.

try autozone or pep boys for cheaper parts...

that's because while the method works great for older carbureted cars, newer ECU cars require a complete circuit to the battery or it will shut down. In computer controlled cars prior to this safety circuit, that method was a great way to burn up your ECU, caused by an immediate increase in resistance, coupled with a surge from the alternator coming to full charging capacity.

thanks,

json

thanks for the in depth. now, since you say it i am thinking couple of the vehicles i used to own did run without the battery. I do have a car from the early 70s but it dies too.

Have fun with the front rotors :) I did my Sentra twice and figured the Path couldn't be any different... until I had my front hubs and wheel berrings in my hand :wacko:

oh, they aren't that bad. i just did my cv boots so it's pretty much a somewhat time consuming snap. :D