Help! I need to find TDC on my 3L v6 87 Pathy

ruggs

I just got a distributor for my pathy (87) but I forgot to mark where the rotor position was ans now my pathy won't start. How do I find TDC on this motor and then what irection should the rotor be in. I need to get this thing running now!!! or I am FOOKED!!! :furious:

I take it you removed the distributer without marking where the rotor was pointing??

If so, try this.

-Remove the spark plug from no 1 cyl. (front pass side)

-Ball up a piece of tissue paper and push over the plug hole (enough tissue that it won't fit into the cylinder)

-Have a friend touch the ignition key ever so slightly so as to crank the engine 1/4 turn or less.

(When the tissue pops out away from the plug hole, you are coming up on TDC of compression stroke.)

-You should be watching the direction the crank pulley is turning and then align the timing marks as jmcardamone suggests.

When you install the distributer, make sure the rotor is pointing towards the location of the #1 plug wire on the dist cap.

(note: if you just bring up to TDC on crank pulley without tissue etc. you have a 50/50 chance of being on compression stroke versus exhaust)

Brian