electric fan conversion

br2an

I am planning to remove the fan from my 93 SE this fall and replace it with an electric one. (I am also installing a grill cover when it arrives) My goal is to improve gas mileage during the winter by having the engine reach operating temperature as quickly as possible.

I know that the fan & shrould from a Nissan Quest will fit with very little modification (from another post that I can't seem to find??) but I need to know if there are any other vehicles that can be used. There are very few Nissans in my neck of the woods and I can't find a Quest anywhere. (Lots of Chev/Ford/Dodge types in our scrapyards but no Nissans.)

Question: Has anyone converted to electric fan using the shroud/fan from a Ford Taurus? (K-car?) or other common NA brand? (Year, make and model would be great.)

Thanks

Brian

There's a couple that use the taurus fans. They pull mad air! You will need to use a 30-40 amp relay with it since it uses a lot of juice. 88pathoffroad has a Quest fan in his Pathfinder. I have a Quest fan sitting here if you want it. Other options are the 16" fan from the auto parts store. or the Nissan Altima fan.

Cuong Nguyen:

The Taurus would be great. (lots of them in our scrapyards) I would like to take you up on your Quest fan but shipping would be a bitch. (I think Newfoundland - California is about the same distance as California - Japan edit: Oops! I was off by 2000 miles. That Pacific is one big ocean.)

Thanks just the same.

Brian

To use the Taurus fan, I think you need to upgrade the alternator as well. I was looking on hot rod forums about putting one in and found a write-up for a Mustang install. They said they had to upgrade the alternator and use a larger relay because of the juice the fan pulls.

Here's the link:

Junkyard Taurus fan install

You may not have to upgrade, but I'd hate to see you burn your alternator up.

I've already got my Villager alternator to go with the Taurus fan just to be on the safe side. I just haven't had the time to put 'em in.

jj big shoe;

Thanks for the link, that is a good article. One thing they mention is that the Taurus fan has two fan speeds. They didn't test the current draw at the lower speed but it should be less than 40 Amps. I won't have any problems useing the low setting during the winter ( our temps are below zero for too many months here). I may order a rebuilt alternator for a Villager (120 A ?) and install it this spring. If the low setting on the fan is not pushing enough air I can just switch to the higher setting.

Off to the local scrapyard this weekend. :)

Brian