Stupid Fan Clutch

Tungsten

I don't know if this is normal but for some reason when its cold out my fan clutch does not release the fan on a cold start. During a cold start I can hear the fan for about 20 miles down the road before its quiet again. If I blow on the fan clutch with a hair dryer before starting it unbinds and then it works good. In the summer it would unbind instantly at startup but when it got colder out its being a pain in the neck. This is a Beck Arnley replacement and it has worked wonderfully in the summer. I replaced my stock one a while back because that one would bind no matter what and I don't want to go electric because I don't like the drawbacks associated with it. Perhaps I still need to break it in? I think it has been like 3000 miles already.

ok well apparently these things come in different temp ratings

one i have is for a warmer climate because the oil is thicker inside

i tried touching the fan clutch with a cigarette lighter to warm it up first and it worked lol

I have a cluch if you want it. In the cold it would only bind for about 15-20 seconds(last I used it)

what are these great drawbacks to going electirc? I have not had a singe issue since I went electric.

i like my current one because it is serviceable, there are bolts holding it together and you can take it apart and change the oil inside

i think the OEM one is sealed/welded

with electric, you are running into a possibility of frying the already weak alternator or just overheating the truck

if you go off-road, you will be glad to have a mechanical fan

My1path- how much would you like for the fan clutch, if Tungsten is taking a pass on it? I suppose I need a new one if the fan turns at a constant (fast) rate even in the freezing cold and I'm hearing that 'jet airplane' noise intermittently on start-up, and the truck is taking forever to warm up. Came in to search the topic and saw this thread. Do you think I'd be better off just getting a new one?

yep

make sure its a regular one, not one with bolts in it you will not like it when its cold lol

btw

if you are changing the timing belt, do it then with the water pump and the rest

Edited by Tungsten

with electric, you are running into a possibility of frying the already weak alternator or just overheating the truck

if you go off-road, you will be glad to have a mechanical fan

with 180amps wearing out an alty is not a problem for me. and as far a wheeling; no problems so far, even submerged or when running high engine speeds with nearly zero foward motion. I guess it depends on the durability, quality and amount of air the chosen e-fan can move.

I'm outa town for a week but I can send the clutch to whichever taker when I get back. I is old and worked last I used it but it has been on a shelf for 2 years.6+

87, turn your engine off and open the hood and try to spin the fan by hand, it should spin without a problem. if it doesn't spin without a problem you probably need a new clutch. mine sounded the same untill i just changed it now i just hear the engine its so nice.