I Got A Weird Cracking Noise

arty

Hello everyone ...I'm new here I would like some help my wd21 is making a weird like cracking sound almost like if there is a leak on the heafers ...when I step on the gas and raise the rpm to bout 4 and let go of the gas it gives someting like a whistle sound ...but after driving it bout 10 minutes the noise will go away ....any clue what it could be ...any help will be apreciated

Howdy Arty, welcome to NPORA!!

I'm not sure about the whistling, but it could be from the intake, a somewhat normal noise. My first pathy did that at lower speeds.

The crackle, well, if it is like a ticking that fades when the engine warms up, it is probably the exhaust manifold leaking, due to warping or studs breaking. It is common so there are plenty of threads discussing this that can be found via search.

B

Oh ok someone else told me the same thing and it made sense because its is a similar sound to exhaust leak ....ok so do u think I'm better off getting some headers .......

For the whistling, check to make sure no vacuum lines are cracked or falling off their ports, a vacuum leak could cause a whistle. Check lines that have sharp bends first, that is where they can often crack from heat/age.

Good call BT.

Oh ok someone else told me the same thing and it made sense because its is a similar sound to exhaust leak ....ok so do u think I'm better off getting some headers .......

Yes, headers are nice. You can get to kinds, about $250 and $400 but even the cheaper ones are better than the stock manifolds. Regardless, the stock manifolds will need to be removed and any broken studs replaced. It is recommended to replace all regardless, this is all well documented... ;)

B

Good call BT.

Yes, headers are nice. You can get to kinds, about $250 and $400 but even the cheaper ones are better than the stock manifolds. Regardless, the stock manifolds will need to be removed and any broken studs replaced. It is recommended to replace all regardless, this is all well documented... ;)

B

Thanks a lot precice ....what's your opinion on those pace setters headers .....???..do u know if the come with the hole like down pipe to the cat...???..

You are welcome.

Start here.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23631&st=0&p=426759&hl=headers&fromsearch=1entry426759

I think it goes into the pace setter headers also. If there is not enough info, use the advanced search function in the top left and enter 'pace setters'. If you questions or problems then ask. Not trying to blow you off, just get people in general to look around a bit more... ;)

B