Oil Pump Case Leaking

qwik12

I have a leak coming from the oil pump case behind the timing belt.What is the name of this piece.The leak is definiteley from the case.I first thought crankshaft front seal,replaced it.Was hoping for a cam seal leak,negative.I believe the case is cracked.I have no choice but to fix it.The leak is too annoying.I am am a automotive tech plenty of tools.How involved is this job?Any advice?Or help?Thanks

I know what case your refering too. The case that the Crank seal fits in. The waterpump mates with it just above it. To get that out is a bit of a bugger since its pretty much the same as doing a timing belt job. and if you did the Cam and crank seals already then you were basically almost done. If your positive that its the case that got a crack in it then It really shouldn't be too hard to swap out.

There's a ton of threads on here already about doing the timing belt job which is basically 3/4 of what you need to do anyway so I'm not going to get into that. I think there's even a sticky about it posted up. I had a similar problem once before and it ended up just being the NEW crank seal that I put in. I had a small bur on my Crank that cut the lip of the seal as I was installing it. It ended up spewing Oil pretty significantly so I had to tear it all down, use some emery cloth on the bur for a while to shave it smooth enough to get another seal on without it cutting then next one.

I was pretty pissed off by the time i was done but if i could do it, anyone could.

edit*

sounds like you need to pull the oil pump and replace the gasket between it and the block. this requires dropping the oil pan, which requires dropping the front axle. lucky you

OH man. I didn't realize you would have to drop the oil pan to get that out of there. Boy... that sounds like a nightmare job now. Anyway to just loosen everything up enough to slip a new gasket behind without having to tear everything down? like parts hanging giving you about a centimeter to slide one up? I don't know the specifics at all about having to drop an oil pan since its never been an issue for me, so keep that in mind in case that's a stupid idea.

Good luck man.

Edited by Dowser

OH man. I didn't realize you would have to drop the oil pan to get that out of there. Boy... that sounds like a nightmare job now. Anyway to just loosen everything up enough to slip a new gasket behind without having to tear everything down? like parts hanging giving you about a centimeter to slide one up? I don't know the specifics at all about having to drop an oil pan since its never been an issue for me, so keep that in mind in case that's a stupid idea.

Good luck man.

you can do it that way but you will have problems getting a good seal on the pan gasket. i've done it that way on my 280z before and its a pain truing to get RTV to stick to the oil soaked pan gasket

OR you can do Like somone did on a jeep and make a tampon holder for the leak. rolling.gif

http://jalopnik.com/5239651/how-to-change-a-jeeps-tampon

He had just completed a full rebuild of a 1989 AMC 360 engine for his 1979 Jeep CJ5 when he found a nasty little oil leak dripping from the oil pump. Tired from the rebuild, he didn't feel like tearing the whole thing down to find out where he'd gone wrong, he made his own little fix with the help of a fabricated bracket and a tampon