Front Crank Seal Leak

qwik12

I am redoing my timing belt noticed the front crank seal is leaking like crazy.Any ideas on how to remove.Thank you in advance.Is this a common problem?

Edited by qwik12

typically with seals I drill 4 small holes equally spaced arround the seal, then I put self taping screws in each hole and alternate tuging firlmy on each screw(don't pull so hard the screw pops out) spray the lip of the seal with a thin penetrant while doing so. the seal should slowly work its way out as you tug.

before installing the new seal make sure to clean the penitrant off of the crank and seal journal. Grease in and out side of the new seal or dip it in clean engine oil so it does not bind when installing it. find a piece of pipe(whith a smooth straight edge) same diameter as the seal for a cheap installation tool to use with a hammer.

I dono how common it is but many ppl think is good practice to change a seal whenever you have it exposed FOM. fwd main w/ timing belt, axle seals with bearings, rear main with clutch/tranny etc...

Edited by MY1PATH

I have found that tapping the seal slightly deeper into the housing using a suitable drift (plastic or aluminum) breaks it free and then you can just fish it out. I used an O-ring hooked pick which destroys the old seal, just be careful not to gouge the metal.

Cut an old plastic container to make a tube, put the seal on one end and the other over the crank lip and simply slide the seal down the tube and on the journal. Lube it first, of course. I tapped the seal in using the same drift. Just make it flush, not deeper.

It really is pretty simple.

B