94 stock foglight switch wiring?

Guest Bignuts

I recently got a 94 pathy and took the center console out to clean the carpets, and what was going to be 24 hours of downtime turned into, replace stock stereo, fix outer transfercase shift boot, and stop vents from continuously recirculating cabin air.

Needless to say after the week it took to sort out all these things, I had forgotten which of the 3 wires goto which of the 4 possible terminals.

I was able to discount one possible terminal, as it never had any marks from intallation or removal of any wires, and I turned on the headlights and checked for voltage to one of the wires, but I thought I would ask here before blowing out any more fuses..

Thanks in advance

You can find which wires are for your switch by checking the connection point under the steering column. You can also trace the wires from the relay that's screwed on your firewall. IF you are still at a loss, let me know and I'll try to find it in the service manual but, since I was just there looking at my headlight circuit, I know that it is not clearly represented since they were part of an options package.

k9sar, I too have the wiring diagram available here, but digging through it revealed no usefull info on how the switch was wired physically.

I think the pic that Mr. Pickles posted should be helpful, thanks to both of you for helping out, I would have hated to just go willy nilly connecting the wires and possibly burnt out the fusable link if the fuse didnt blow.

k9sar, I too have the wiring diagram available here, but digging through it revealed no usefull info on how the switch was wired physically.

I think the pic that Mr. Pickles posted should be helpful, thanks to both of you for helping out, I would have hated to just go willy nilly connecting the wires and possibly burnt out the fusable link if the fuse didnt blow.

If you need I can take some clearer pics of it up close tonight. That was taken from another of my previous posts.

Ok, lets walk through this. Looking in from the passenger door, pull the switch straight up out of the console. There is a yellow wire in the front terminal on the passenger side of the switch. To the rear of that is a purple wire. On the driver's side front terminal is a yellow wire, and the one behind that is empty. Purple is power from the headlight circuit to the switch allowing the fogs to turn on only when the headlights are on and the switch is on. Yellow is power from the switch to the relay under the hood on the passenger side. Green is ground. I tried to post a better pic, but now I'm getting the "can't post" error too. Need to see about one of those free hosting sites.