Annoying Fan!

jl6630

Alright so about a week ago my fan just decided to stay on constantly. It was quiet at first but its getting much louder. not an unordinary sound just winds up louder than usual the higher I get in RPMs. anyway its a sound that i need to get fixed. now i know in my old toyota i could just replace the fan clutch and it took care of it. but what i'm wondering is that if the fan is staying on for too long does that mean that my thermostat is sticking? or that i need a new fan? any info would be great. thanks in advance guys.

Stock, you have a fan clutch, it sounds like it is binding. Try turning it by hand, it should free wheel 1/4+ turn if you spin it as fast as you can. If this seems ok, them run it until it warms up/makes the noise, shut off the motor and check it again. Should be an easy fix (8 bolts/nutz)

B

Stock, you have a fan clutch, it sounds like it is binding. Try turning it by hand, it should free wheel 1/4+ turn if you spin it as fast as you can. If this seems ok, them run it until it warms up/makes the noise, shut off the motor and check it again. Should be an easy fix (8 bolts/nutz)

B

wow... learn something every time i come in here...

is this true on all fans w clutches?

you guys are great i appreciate all the responses i will work on it tonight and let you know what happens!

All the ones I have ever had. They shouldn't be loose but shouldn't be binding either. I have found that anything stiffer than 1/8+ turn (cold) means it is prone to binding and anything looser than 1/2 turn means it doesn't bind well enough to properly drive the fan. These are rough guidelines learned from personal experience, but it seems to apply most of the time. If course, if there is lateral play in the fan clutch, it needs replacing regardless of the spin test.

B

pulled it apart last night. definately just need a new fan clutch. It was very easy to take out though just make sure if you ever have to do this that you pull off the fan shroud first ha. I didnt think about it till re-installation

• 2 weeks later...

they are viscous on the inside

when the oil is cold, they will bind no matter what

once the radiator heats up the fan clutch it loosens

over time the oil in the fan clutch will break down and it will either permanently bind or fail