Gasket Question

wilson

I need to replace the gasket between my thorley headers and the factory midpipe. does anyone know what the dimensions of said gasket are? also what it is made of. It appears to be metallic, i assume because of high heat. Would a regular(paper, cardboard) gasket work? or would it combust killing me and my ride in a ball of flame?

Sorry, but I do not recall. I supplied the gaskets for the mid pipe but did not install it.

The regular paper kind will work fine. I have heard of people doubling up paper gaskets to make sure that it seals. The key is not to over torque!! 25 ft/lbs max IIRC?? Crush the gaskets or warp the flange and you will still leak.

You can also use Permatex copper sealant. It stinks for a bit at first but will hold up for a long time. Just apply a small bead and very lightly torque so you smear/even it out but don't squeeze it out. Let it cure overnight (or longer) then drive...

B

You can also use Permatex copper sealant. It stinks for a bit at first but will hold up for a long time. Just apply a small bead and very lightly torque so you smear/even it out but don't squeeze it out. Let it cure overnight (or longer) then drive...

I've used the Permatex copper each time I've had the headers apart and it works great. IIRC, I used it on both sides of the gasket last time. I gobbed a bunch on, cranked the bolts down and wiped off the excess. Messy operation but it sealed up good.

Just apply a small bead and very lightly torque so you smear/even it out but don't squeeze it out. Let it cure overnight (or longer) then drive...

Sorry, I missed the step of torqueing to spec after letting it curing over night and before driving.

It can't hurt to recheck the torque a few days later...

LOL JJ, small bead or gob and wipe. It all works... :D

B