Reading My Ecu Codes

Yendor

My check engine light is going on and off, so I tried to pull the codes according to the how to.

What I'm getting is both lights going off. 1 long flash, then 2 long flashes, then 3 quick flashes, then 4 quick flashes and then 5 quick flashes. The pattern then repeats. Do I read these as 5 separate codes?

Edited by Yendor

My check engine light is going on and off, so I tried to pull the codes according to the how to.

What I'm getting is both lights going off. 1 long flash, then 2 long flashes, then 3 quick flashes, then 4 quick flashes and then 5 quick flashes. The pattern then repeats. Do I read these as 5 separate codes?

No. You are in "selection mode". Turn "selector screw" fully clockwise, wait for 3 flashes and turn counter-clockwise (to select "Diagnostic Mode 3").

I think I got it right this time, as I get 3 red flashes followed by 3 green flashes. That's the code for the O2 sensor, which I just replaced. What else do I have to look at?

Check the wiring/connection for the O2 and check the sensor for resistance 1-1000 ohms, I believe. The EUC isn't the smartest and may say O2 sensor when you have something like a vacuum leak messing with the air/fuel mix.

B

I think I got it right this time, as I get 3 red flashes followed by 3 green flashes. That's the code for the O2 sensor, which I just replaced. What else do I have to look at?

Do you clear error codes from ECU memory after O2 sensor replacement? Codes are not "self-cleared" even after successful repair, you need to clear them manually.

Select "Mode 3", read codes again, then change to "Mode 4" to clear old codes from memory. Switch to mode 3 again. If you read code 55 - you have no stored errors.

Do you clear error codes from ECU memory after O2 sensor replacement? Codes are not "self-cleared" even after successful repair, you need to clear them manually.

Select "Mode 3", read codes again, then change to "Mode 4" to clear old codes from memory. Switch to mode 3 again. If you read code 55 - you have no stored errors.

That's what I forgot to do. Thanks.

I just disconnected the neg. battery terminal.

Check the wiring/connection for the O2 and check the sensor for resistance 1-1000 ohms, I believe. The EUC isn't the smartest and may say O2 sensor when you have something like a vacuum leak messing with the air/fuel mix.

B

Thanks for the info. If my CEL comes back, I'll give that a try.

Ok, my CEL is coming back with the same code and I just changed the O2 sensor. Even when I get around to check the sensor resistance, what can be causing the problem? Could it be something related to them doing the timing belt, water pump and radiator? Could the mechanice have forgotten to hook something back up or knocked something loose? It's driving me nuts, as sometimes when the cel comes on, I'm getting hesitation when accelorating.

Look at page EF&EC-96 of 1994 FSM and follow diagnostic procedure for code 33 (heated O2 sensor). Keep in mind you have intermittent failure, not permanent, when you follow diagnostic steps.

You can download 1994 FSM from Internet for free. For example, here.

Thanks for that!

I went over it again and again trying to figure it out. I finally looked at the ground wires and they were both loose. I tightened them up and cleared the codes, so hopefully that's it. I'll find out when I drive to work tomorrow.

I owe you a beer buddy!