2wd into 4wd

mudfinder

hey guys, i have one question, if i wanted to make my pathy 4wd, would i need a new transmission or would the transfer case go on to the one i already have on? and is it possible to make it 4wd if i went and picked some parts off another path at a junk yard?

You will need a new transmission and transfer case. You can't swap the tailhousings. It's not possible. If you're lucky, you can find a good parts pathy that someone wants to get rid of and pull everything from it. The whole swapping is ALMOST bolt-on except you have to WELD the front crossmember where the front diff mounts to. There are no pathfinders in my area that I can get so that is out of the question. I tried looking up the parts individually and found out that I'd end up buying another Pathfinder. So.......... I'm back to my solid axle swap as originally planned..

when i get the money, i want to put a solid axel in the front, why not get a 4x4 instead and will be much cheaper? because my pathy is my pathy. and when i have kids i'll tell them that this thing was once 2wd and it kicked hiney. and plus i have too many memories, don't want to get rid of it.

• 3 weeks later...

i was looking at some salvage trucks at copart. i was thinking what if i get a rolled over or totalled Pathfinder, i'd perfer rolled because the drive-traine won't be damaged. rip the front end off the totalled one and put it on my path. i could get one for probably 3-400 dollars. what you guys thinks?

if the price is right then go for it, you wount look back for a second

as long as the entire driveline is there and not damaged

& arms and hubs etc

it would be pretty cool if one of you guys did it :aok:

see, i work with alot salvage vehicles, the only reason why i said a rolled over one is because the ones rolled over don't usually have drivetrain damage. and i am going to do it. i'm just waiting to buy my titan so that i'll have something to drive daily, i know it's not going to take a weekend or a week, it's going to take a while. so that's my plan, there's no way i'm buying a 4x4 Pathfinder in the place of my mudfinder. it's my baby. so we'll see, i might even go ahead a do a SAS.