Wheel size

kiwinoz

Hi all,

Im going to replace my tyres at the end of the year, so want to get it right.

What size wheels does everyone have on their Pathfinders? (D21)

What are standard? Mine has 15” and they look small, I thought my last one had 16”, maybe I just didn’t take enough notice.

Does the D22 have larger dia wheels and would they fit?

Also, the larger dia wheels must have the effect of reducing the gearing, like starting off in 2nd, make the wagon a bit gutless? But better fuel economy. And, must put extra strain on the brakes, because of the larger lever (wheel). Has this been a concern for anyone?

Is the stud pattern the same for D21s D22s and Patrols?

Thanks

Hi all,

What are standard? Mine has 15” and they look small, I thought my last one had 16”, maybe I just didn’t take enough notice.

Also, the larger dia wheels must have the effect of reducing the gearing, like starting off in 2nd, make the wagon a bit gutless? But better fuel economy. And, must put extra strain on the brakes, because of the larger lever (wheel). Has this been a concern for anyone?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure 15" is standard - my current PF has factory lego wheels which fit 31x10.5x15. I've read that 15" is a desirable size for 4x4s cause it still allows for a nice and meaty sidewall. GQ Patrol/Y60 Safari is the same stud pattern as the D21, but the center hub is slightly wider in diameter on the Troll, and the wheel offset is different. So they would stick right out from the fenders and then you'd probably need fender flares, cert etc.

A direct swap that I recommend is Toyota 6 stud rims from a 40/50/60/75/80 Cruiser, solid axle pickup (Hilux) or 4Runner (Surf). Over there they are much more readily available and cheaper than Nissan ones. For my last PF in New Zealand I picked up a set of 15" rims from a Toyota pickup, painted them and put on 31x10.5 MTs. This tire size will get you pretty damn far and requires no suspension work. My ones were offset a little wider than the originals, which gave it a meatier stance and wider track.

Here are some before and after photos.

Before - standard 15" steel rims - purposeful but agricultural, w/ 31" Firestone MTs

beforeo.jpg

After - Offset Toyota 6 stud w/ 31" Hankook MTs

afterl.jpg

BTW, my medium term goal (5 yrs) is to import a TD42 GQ Patrol (or preferably a JDM spec Y60 Safari) over here to the US. This has never been done before, requires a lot of work & $$, but hey, this is America, and anything's possible! This vehicle is in my opinion the most durable & charismatic 4x4 ever built. It eats Land Cruisers for lunch, and is near impossible to break.

patrol.png

Hi all,

Thanks

15x7 is the largest stock wheel that Nissan provided for the WD21 or D21