Speed sensors and drive gears

beachbum

Greetings All,

New guy here. So I bought a '95 Pathy LE three weeks ago, 164K on the clock, had some issues but the major stuff was OK. Had a CEL, traced it to the speed sensor pulled that, no drive gear. Bought a drive gear, installed it, apple cored it in 1/10 of a mile. Bought another one (less teeth) installed it same thing. Inspected white nylon gear in transfer case through speed sensor hole, spins freely, teeth sharp, no flat spots. What gives? Anyone ever hear of or run into this problem before?

My 30 day grace period with NJDMV is soon over. Cannot pass inspection with a CEL, any fixes? Can the code be programed out? Can a battery with a pulse signal generator be hooked to the lead to trick the computer? Can a small 12V DC motor be connected to the sensor to generate a sinal to the computer?

As you can guess I'm near the end of solutions. I can't justify 1500.00 to take out the transfer case, rebuild or replace what ever gear drives the sensor and put it back. There are no issues with the drive train 4WD works great, trans shifts smoothly and engine is strong, Body is above average, took care of frame rust, new bumbers, new shocks, new brakes, new bushings, it's just this little nylon gear that is keeping me from enjoying this vehicle. Any suggestions appreciated.