Replacing CV

01silvapathy

So at the beginning of summer I noticed that my CV was leaking. Im about to repair it soon. I was wondering if it would be easier to replace the whole thing or just replace the broken boot? Also does anyone have the pages from the factory service manual on how to disassemble the whole assembly and put it back together, its my first time doing it.... Thanks in advance!!!

to replace the boot, you have to do the same amount of work (or arguably more), as just replacing the entire axle.

here's what you do:

remove the wheel

remove the cap on your locking hubs (6 allen head bolts)

remove the axle snap ring

remove the locking hub (6 hex nuts)

undo the lower ball joint mount (3 bolts)

remove the cv axle from the differential (6 hex nuts)

lower the control arm enough so that you can slide the axle out through the "A" opening in the control arm

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/

Yes, it's just as much work as you still have to remove the whole shaft, just to replace the boot (unless you go with a split boot). Also, given that you said it's been exposed since the beginning of summer, I'd be willing to bet it's full of crap. Even a small amount of grit in that shaft can cause premature wear in the joint. My vote is to just replace.

Buy a new one (under $100) most auto parts stores have them on hand

(I about died when they I went to O'reilly and they pulled it out from the back/ I thought I was going to have to order one here in Jeep Country)

same amount of work to replace the boot as the entire CV. It just comes down to cost, when I fixed mine a boot was $20 and a new axle was $160, so the choice was easy.