Replacing AC Compenents, Need Advice

SnowSurfLax

Ok, my AC compressor finally shat itself. No more cold air, no more loud *clap*clap*clap* coming from it when I turn it on. It's toast.

So I have two viable options, depending on if there's still R134 left in the system.

1. Buy parts for about $325, have someone install it for about $250 plus refrigerant.

2. Rip it out and install it myself, then pay someone about $100 to vacuum/remove air & moisture and recharge it.

Now, if there's still R134 in the system, no dice. No venting it to the atmosphere or risking inhaling that @!*%.

But, if no R134, my questions are:

1. So I replace compressor, consdensor and drier, how do I clear rest of system of any metal fragments?

2. As anyone ever done this? Any pitfalls to avoid? How much of a PITA is it?

3. Is it one of those jobs (like front struts, *shudder* not again) that's best just done by paying someone with a proper shop? (i.e. I have no shop, work will be done at father in laws who does not work on cars)

All comments/advice welcome! TIA!

A/C condensor, not so hard, compressor and clearing the metal out, little different. Most people just take compressed air and shoot it through the lines, but you got to remember to do the receiver dryer too, so if you want to save money, find a way to do it yourself, but if you can't/don't have the tools/equipment, of course pay someone else, but shop around. Unless you live in BFE, you should be able to haggle with a bunch of mechanics who will try to all underbid eachother if you come in with one of their quotes. Easy as pie that way, just a lot of hot driving...LOL!

Just pull it, gas will come out but don't worry about it, R134a is not ozone depleting.

Kid doesn't mind so much. However, I do not like sweaty balls. 'nuff said.

94pathyman - planning on replacing the drier and condensor as well, so would really just need to blow the lines out. We'll see what happens.