Strut Assembly Spacer Material

Has anyone fabricated their own strut spacers out something other than aluminum? If so what did you use?

The reason I ask is because I have some Delrin, which is a type of polymer, that I am thinking about using. Let me know your opinions on this.

Delrin is extremely hard and tuff. If I'm not mistaken, there is already spacers for other truck/model being made with this... I'm thinking daystar and others... If you can find 1" thick piece of delrin, I say do it...

S

From my understanding Delrin is supposed to be very resistant to base oils but I haven't had any personal experience with it. I wonder how extreme the expansion and contraction can get?

Edited by unicoipathy

the simplest example I can think of to prove my point of view is paintball gun parts.. Even Vegetable based oils ruin Delrin internals of high end paintball guns. We used delrin as a bushing for one of our wind turbine mounts, coated it with Chain lube... less then a week later the turbine wouldn't track the wind because the delrin bushing swelled up

Delrin also expands and contracts with temperature and will swell if in contact with oil

I second that! Delrin does perform decently well however with synthetic based lubricants. Case in point, the seat tracks in many GM products use Delrin balls with a synthetic lubricant which permit seat adjustment in cold and hot weather.

Someone on this board was attempting to make some spacers our of Delrin about a year ago IIRC.

Okay, sounds like some good examples. I appreciate the useful info. I had some extra in the garage I acquired from the marina so I thought it might be good material for that application.

I did check out Daystar and it looks like they use Polyurathane for their products.

Guess I'll find another use for it.