Water sputter

OldSlowReliable

So i drove through some puddles today...what can i say, i like the splash..

I made sure not to get water anywhere near the airbox or tailpipe....

But i slowed down, and then started speeding up, and it sounded WEIRD and it kinda smelled like firecrackers..So i slow all the way down, and give it some throttle, and it feels like its shuddering, you know? until about 3k rpm...

So i shut her off, and im about to look @ the airbox, when i realize i should pull into a spot off the dirt road, incase someone wants to pass. so i start her up again, and she really sputters to life, then i think 'well, if she dies here, im screwed, so ill get her home b4 i shut her down again' and off i go, and it still sputters and the exhaust sounds really poppy, as in i can almost hear the cylinders firing or something....or if its gurgling...so i hope i didn't get water somewhere bad, so i put it in N and rev it up to about 5k, a few times, and i start goin again, and after a few minutes it goes away...

wtf?!

cap probably got wet...maybe a hole in the cat/mffler (i packed my old exhaust with mud accidentally b/c it had a hole in it and restricted the flow)...i know after a lot of splashing around in my 87 it would be low on power and after about 5-10 miles of driving it would start acting right and i'm pretty sure it was due to wet ignition parts

Edited by unccpathfinder

Mine does the exact same thing. I try drying off all the plug wires and cap, and ignition coil. Still does it. I just deal with it and let whatever it is dry out, then it runs perfectly fine.

Though one time I did suck my TBI air filter housing full of water and the filter was dripping like a wet rag, and I had a lake in my cleaner housing. Oops. Even after taking that off, still sputtered.

I gave up trying to find the cause. Now I just know to expect it and keep on drivin.

yeah...shes due for alot of stuff...brakes, tuneup, plugs, cap, rotors, e-brake, rust management...and the list goes on..

Well good, i just wanted to make sure it wasn't something i had to worry about being damaged permanently