idle adjust

Anyone know how to adjust the idle? I did a TB cleaning and now my idle's sitting higher than it should (~950rpm).

I thought maybe the TB needed replacing but I think the temp. regulator cam spring just needs adjusting. That being said, I have no idea how to do that and before trying anything (and risking making matter worse), I'm wondering if anyone has done this before with any success.

I took some shots up close of the two springs, to show how the hardware sits at cold temperature. When I start up the rig, the revs jump to about 1800rpm, then sits around 15-1600rpm until it warms up, at which point idle sits at ~950rpm. That's about 200+ compared to what I thought was normal idle (750rpm).

DSC07418.jpg

DSC07417.jpg

Does this look right compared to your VG33E at cold temp.? I noticed that fin on the temp. reg. cam spring has two notches on it, which I assume indicated where the throttle pin should rest at cold and hot. I'm thinking adjustment can be made to the lower spring hardware but I won't try anything until I know more. In the meantime, I have to deal with this high idle and butchered gas mileage.

Thanks for the help in advance! :happy:

In your first picture, see the tiny phillips screw marked with a dab of paint? loosen the nut with i think an 8mm then slowly screw out the screw while watching your RPMs.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. :D

So it wouldn't be temp. reg. cam hardware below the TB? :scratchhead:

• 4 weeks later...

You may already know this, but if you disconnected the battery at anytime, the ECU will lose its learned settings and have to relearn them over the course of a few hours of driving. So the idle may be a bit off for awhile.

Also, when warm, idle in park or neutral should be about 950. Idle in a gear like D, 2, 1 with the brakes applied is more like 750. The ranges on these values are +/- 50 rpm.