Fuel pump keeps running after engine is off

Spenceeros

I have a 92 pathfinder and lately the fuel pump keeps running for about 30-45 seconds after I turn off the engine. Is this a result of a leak in the lines or a faulty fuel regulator? I haven't done a pressure check yet but am assuming that's probably the next step.

I have a 92 pathfinder and lately the fuel pump keeps running for about 30-45 seconds after I turn off the engine. Is this a result of a leak in the lines or a faulty fuel regulator?

Fuel system on 1987-95 Pathfinders does not have any type of "fuel pressure" electronic sensors.

Check "fuel pump" relay under the hood (worn-out relay contacts can be "sticky"). You can temporarily swap it with another near-by green relay, just for test.

Also check contact group of ignition switch. Normally, there is no power (+12V) on any fuel pump relay contact (pin), when ignition key turned to "OFF" or "ACC" position.

Edited by Terrano1992

Yea I think it was the fuel relay. I switched it out with the blue 4 pin for my a/c, since that doesn't work. I'm assuming that the only thing that is different with the relays is the color.

Yea I think it was the fuel relay. I switched it out with the blue 4 pin for my a/c, since that doesn't work. I'm assuming that the only thing that is different with the relays is the color.

Coil resistance of green relay is nearly 1.5-2 times higher than blue - it's only difference.

Edited by Terrano1992

So should I not be running a blue relay in the fuel pump spot? Is there going to be a possibility of an under/over volt?

Lower coil resistance puts excessive load at ECU transistor switch. You can temporarily replace green relays with blue, but this is not recommended for long term use.

• 1 month later...

hi,

i dont if this thing does it, but i had same problem with mine and i had my mech fixed it. i just changed the engine gasket, the seal valve, intake seal and clean the valves...voila good as new and sound much better when first start the engine..... :itsallgood: