speedo cable

edicer2

O ok so i got my dash all working now i got a replacement speedo for the cluster with almost the exact same miles as my truck. Now I need to replace my speedo cable itself because it spins but stops as soon as any pressure is put on it. (DO you think its the cable or the gear in the tcase?) I was looking at how i am going to get the cable off and it appears to be right behind the intake plenum. Is there a way to get at it with out takin the intake plenum off? I am not really sure I trust my self tearing that off lol. I was able to get the one screw on the drives side off but there ae still 2 screws that are right be hind the plenum that need to come off and i cant get at them. If anyone has a tool that they have used or a way to get them out let me know and i wil go that route. I really need to get this fixed. Also if anyone thinks its the gear let me know so i odnt need to go through this and find that out haha.

Like i said ifi take the cluster out and drive the cable is spinning but if i touch it with my finger it quits spinning.

You can test the cable by disconnecting it from the trans, connect one end to a drill, and give 'er a spin. You dont need to go very fast at all to verify operation. As far as the gear goes, pull the sensor from the Tcase and inspect it. Make sure to look inside at the gear. Ive seen those flatten out and casue issues.

• 2 weeks later...
O ok so i got my dash all working now i got a replacement speedo for the cluster with almost the exact same miles as my truck. Now I need to replace my speedo cable itself because it spins but stops as soon as any pressure is put on it. (DO you think its the cable or the gear in the tcase?) I was looking at how i am going to get the cable off and it appears to be right behind the intake plenum. Is there a way to get at it with out takin the intake plenum off? I am not really sure I trust my self tearing that off lol. I was able to get the one screw on the drives side off but there ae still 2 screws that are right be hind the plenum that need to come off and i cant get at them. If anyone has a tool that they have used or a way to get them out let me know and i wil go that route. I really need to get this fixed. Also if anyone thinks its the gear let me know so i odnt need to go through this and find that out haha.

Like i said ifi take the cluster out and drive the cable is spinning but if i touch it with my finger it quits spinning.

yeah, I did this earlier this month. I just used a combination of a regular 10mm wrench, socket, and a phillips tip on a flexible 12inch. Lots of going back and forth with the 3 of them. I had sore forearms for 2 days afterwards.

putting it back on sucked even more, but suprisingly took me less time then expected. (cursing helped a lot though).

didu have to take the intake plenum off at all?

no I didn't remove anything, although w/o it in the way it would have been 90% easier. I just disconnected one of those hoses and helped a bit. I spent the majority of the time getting at the screws from the passenger side. it sucks but doable, goodluck.

What's common with our older models is that over time the "needle" for the speedo cable cracks. so when you put it in the cable in just spins inside the needle. The needle I'm referring to is the white piece on the end of the speedo cable that goes into the speedo cluster. You can pull it out and see the spring behind it. You can try super gluing it (I did and it's been holding up for 3 years now) and that should fix your problem.

way to go man that was brilliant! I now have a working speedo! only problem is today for some reason it started fine when i went t oschool then wouldnt start when it was time to go home just clicked. test battery i think my starter took a @!*%

Glad I could be of help. Just make sure your terminals are clean of corrosion and you have good tight contact with the terminals. Loose connections will have symptoms of a dead battery. Once you get it started. Run down to the auto store and have them check your charging system. free.

• 2 weeks later...
What's common with our older models is that over time the "needle" for the speedo cable cracks. so when you put it in the cable in just spins inside the needle. The needle I'm referring to is the white piece on the end of the speedo cable that goes into the speedo cluster. You can pull it out and see the spring behind it. You can try super gluing it (I did and it's been holding up for 3 years now) and that should fix your problem.

you are absoulety correct. I wish you would have posted this like a year ago so when I researched the Wd21 speedo I would have seen your reply. what glue did you use? I even tried gorilla glue and failed.

With all my research I never found a definate answer about the cable tip "needle" being a "one-peice" to the speedo cable. Before I went on to replace the entire speedo cable assembly I tried so many different things (mainly tring to put the tip back onto the part that spins. So I tried the glue and after letting it sit in place and harden for a few days, then I drove around with it working for like 2 blocks and gave out. also tried to find a similar spring but longer to put more pressure to keep the tip in place also failed. I figured I could buy a similiar tip size and crimp it on, but I would have to do more trail and error. In the end I bit the bullet and it works. Stupid cable design, why would they make the tip out of plastic. and the way it attached is just plain dumb. Also, FYI I bought a $10 generic speedo cable with crimp on tip, but the problem with that was that the tranmission end did not have the "key".

I was able to just get that part off of a used cable i had i have another one if u need it MAXRX7. But yeah it was defiantly the starter. I brought it in the store and it was junk. It was only 100 bucks for a new one so it wasnt that bad.but now I am getting new tie rod ends for the front of the pathy so i can get it alinged my z needs new ball joints too