NISMO, JWT cams?

Seattle_Al

Has anyone here put more aggressive cams in their Pathfinder?

http://www.nismoparts.com/catalog/?section=318

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_...l.asp?PartID=26

Looks like it wouldn't be much more difficult than a timing belt job, except you have to take off the valve covers, distributer, and rocker shafts...

Or am I getting in over my head...

• 2 weeks later...

Jim hasn't done cams, no. You'll need to disassemble quite a few things to put new cams in, plus replacing all the lifters. Altogether not too horribly difficult, but not too simple either. If I had someone give me the cams, I'd do it myself, but the $400+ price tag kinda keeps me from messing with them at this point.

Jim hasn't done cams, no. You'll need to disassemble quite a few things to put new cams in, plus replacing all the lifters. Altogether not too horribly difficult, but not too simple either. If I had someone give me the cams, I'd do it myself, but the $400+ price tag kinda keeps me from messing with them at this point.

Come on, Mr. Moneybags, you know you want to. :P Any idea what the added cost of the valvetrain work, along with anything else that pops up, would bring the bottom line too? Quite a bit, I imagine.

After looking closer this weekend, yeah, the whole intake manifold would have to come out, too. Factory service manual lists all of the steps, but doesn't mention which gaskets need to be replaced.

The JWT cams I'm guessing would be too hot for a daily driver. But the stage 2 Nissan cams (.430 lift, .262 duration) look tempting.

Hmmm. $600 for the cams, plus 12 $10 lifters...

(lifters should be replaced for the same reason that you should put them back in the same order if you remove them for valve work: they develop specific wear patterns for the hole they're in, and mixing them up could make them wear much faster...)

Guest bryan89

they say you need to replace the lifters, but with what? stock ones, just new.

i just had my heads rebuilt because my waterpump seized up and my engine overheated, hence warping my heads. anyways, while they were in there i told them to put new lifters on it. this was less than 10,000 miles ago. would i need to replace my lifters again?

they say you need to replace the lifters, but with what? stock ones, just new.

i just had my heads rebuilt because my waterpump seized up and my engine overheated, hence warping my heads. anyways, while they were in there i told them to put new lifters on it. this was less than 10,000 miles ago. would i need to replace my lifters again?

I think it may have something to do with wear patterns on the lifter and cam. Something like the lifter is supposed to rotate and the wear pattern will be circular. If you were to put this on a shiny new cam the wear pattern in the lifter may wear down the cam faster. :shrug: This is all something I thought up based on one caption I recall reading in a repair manual for an S-10 so ... :shrug: . But I think that if your engine is under 50,000 mi. then they don't need to be replaced.