picture of the front engine 96-99

fleurys

For my skid plate project, I might reconsider the oil filter window placement according to where the oil filter is on a 3.3.

On my 3.5, it is kind of on the left side. That's why my window is off-center a bit to the left... I would like someone to take a good picture of the underneath of a 3.3 so I can clearly see the placement... I want to do a skid that will be good for both...

Tks.

Edited by fleurys

well, its on the driver's side, up towards the front. I don't have a picture here at work, but if no one beats me to it i can get one up when i get home.

Sorry, didn;t get a chance to get under the pathy today. Just got home (1030 at night here). Maybe tomorrow morning.

Tekaz, did you get your relo kit done yet? I wanna see that!

Sorry, didn;t get a chance to get under the pathy today. Just got home (1030 at night here). Maybe tomorrow morning.

Tekaz, did you get your relo kit done yet? I wanna see that!

I'll shoot some pics when I do the relo kit this Friday. I gotta take the skid plate off anyway and I'll be snapping photos as I do the relo kit install. :aok:

That's great !! Thank you very much... With this it becomes pretty clear that I will move my window..

Would you say that if there were to have a hole in the middle of the skidplate, about 6X6", you would be able to reach the oil filter by hand??

That's great !! Thank you very much... With this it becomes pretty clear that I will move my window..

Would you say that if there were to have a hole in the middle of the skidplate, about 6X6", you would be able to reach the oil filter by hand??

Wouldn't that really compromise the durability of the skid plate? :scratchhead:

Wouldn't that really compromise the durability of the skid plate
?

Maybe I did not express myself properly... What I mean, is , is the oil filter at arm reach if there were to have a skid plate with a removable window in the center of it ?

kind of like this :dcp_1579.jpg

dcp_1581.jpg

I'm just concerned with the issues that come with having a 6x6" hole in an aluminum skid plate

Well, Time will tell, but I would not be scared to hit dead on on a rock with this plate.. I have seen 3/16" steel bend quite a bit versus this 1/4" aluminum with the same sledhammer test... I can say that with what I have witnessed, this 1/4" aluminum position itself between the 3/16" and the 1/4" steel, being very near what the 1/4" steel can support as a hit.

I just weighted my beta plate last night and it was 13 LBS ! it's a pretty good weight/hit resistant ratio if you ask me ! :-)

Anyway, do you think if the hole was more in the center, you would be able to reach the oil filter ?

Well, Time will tell, but I would not be scared to hit dead on on a rock with this plate.. I have seen 3/16" steel bend quite a bit versus this 1/4" aluminum with the same sledhammer test... I can say that with what I have witnessed, this 1/4" aluminum position itself between the 3/16" and the 1/4" steel, being very near what the 1/4" steel can support as a hit.

I just weighted my beta plate last night and it was 13 LBS ! it's a pretty good weight/hit resistant ratio if you ask me ! :-)

Anyway, do you think if the hole was more in the center, you would be able to reach the oil filter ?

My 10-gauge BP front skit has faired quite nicely so far but it's quite heavy (installing it was a workout to say the least).

In my experience with the VG33E's oil filter location, it's a fail. No matter where you put a hole in the skid, it's a b*tch to get at the oil filter. I'd say it might be best to just remove the ski plate when doing an oil change or just invest in a filter relo kit. I know, I keep mentioning it, but it's a win-win! :aok:

Haha, Yea, it's dirt. I don't have a splash guard, and haven't had a chance to clean up after my last wheeling run.

Don't hate me!

And about the window. I say for us VG33 guys, it doesn't matter, because even with nothing on, it's still a challenge to get to the damn filter. A window n the skid would just hinder this even more, and we would remove the skid anyway. So I say to just forget the window, or keep if for the VQ setup. The VG won't matter.

Jose

Edited by 180sx