atx14a Transfer case Gear Change

fleurys

I have a 2001 with the ATX14A TC (auto mode) and looking at the FSM, it is clearly a different system than the more ocmmon tx10... Looks like it is a gear reduction system with planetary and sun gears... At first look, it surpasses my ability to fully comprehend the whole system.

I'm just starting to educate myself to better understand how it works and what would be needed, if possible, to change the low gear ratio only from 2.6 to let's say 3.5 or 4...

I'm not looking for replacement ideas (like change the whole thing for something else), but just a bit more information about this transfer case and the way it works.

Fully understanding the way it reduces the gear ratio is the first step for me to start thinking about improving it...

Thanks in advance..

The auto transfer case assy has a complete drum/clutch pack assembly just like an auto transmission does.

It allows the assembly to move in/out of 4wd

It also has a valve body just like a transmission.

I have no experience with gear ratio changing in a transfer case, but I suspect it would be difficult just based on the electronics aspect of it.

We've got one disassembled at the shop, I'll try to remember to grab some pics of it tomorrow.

Edited by morpheus

photos ??

anyone out there rebuilding Transfer cases ?? any book or documentation (other than the fsm) that talked about this TC ?

I slowly start to feel that i'm going to be on my own on this one :(

switch that puppy to a manual-shift TX10 :D

it's not practical or feasible to put in some 'crawler gears.' i don't even think a set is available.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of the manual t-case. I've never had any good experiences with the electronic systems... :thumbsdown:

Hey Morpheus...since you work in a nissan dealer , I have a question. Do you think there is a possibility that I could get a used or defective one that is no good for them but still works enough for me to dismantle and see how it works ??

I mean free or very cheap...

I don't know how it works..Do the dealer have to send the item back to nissan etc... give me some details as for what the options are for the dealer when they repair a truck with this TC...What do they do with the broken one ??

Tks.