Transfer case problem

glenn

While off -roading last week I noticed that front wheels wouldn't turn in 4HI, but did turn in 4LO. Dash board indicator light showed it as engaged and the shift into 4HI felt normal. Any ideas ? THANKS ! - glenn

Hard to answer; I know when I was stuck, the rears were spinning and the fronts were not turning [until I put it in 4LO];At speed, while moving, I can't tell if fronts were getting power or not.Any ideas ?

this may sound obvious.. but did you only see one not spinning? only 1 turns at a time...... :my2cents:

stock pathy is "wrong wheel drive" up front because of the open DIFF. so if one wheel is stuck the oposite one will spin 2x as fast

if you ride the brake a little it may equalize resistance(slowing the moving wheel) so that the stuck wheel begins to move.

Edited by MY1PATH

well, neither wheel was moving in front on 4HI. I had front lockers engaged so I would have expected both to spin equally; neither spun at all until I went into 4LO.

you have a front diff locker, or you have manually locking front hubs? regardless, at least 1 front tire should spin as long as you have at least 1 rear tire spinning.

a locking front hub is not a diff locker. the locking hub simply gives you the option of unlocking/locking the wheel/tire to the CV axle. a diff locker locks the left and right CV axles so that they receive equal power, all the time.

well, I have ARB front lockers and Warn manual hubs and all were engaged/locked when this occured. Any other ideas ?

Yea, somethings broken....lol! Sorry I couldn't resist...

I would think something is wrong with your t case then..... if 4 low works and 4 high dosn't....broken hubs, broken cv joints and what not would make nothing work.... did that just make sense?? :puterpunch:

Edited by beavis0076

I'm in the middle of a re-buiding a tx10 and I can see maybe 2 ways this might happen but it is not very likely:

1)Ok one more than the other; there are 2 plugs on the outside of the case that are not drain plugs (I think they use a 19mm wrench but I'm not going to check rt now) they are called check plugs and they house a small sping and "check ball" I imagine a person could mix it for a drain plug(it will drain your diff) and not notice the spring and ball fall out. whithout these parts the 4wd fork does not have to fully engage before the low-range is engaged.

2) the 4wd shaft retaining pin broke allowing you to shift past FWD untill 4lo is engaged which would prvent you from being past it anymore.

Ok I can visuallize it better than I can say it since I been playing with all these parts (seals coming soon so I can put it back together) but in terms of option #1 did you do a fluid change? the real drain plug is just below the fwd ouput shaft and not on the bottom of the case.

when I finish with this one I will have a leaky spare that I can inspect and re-seal if you want to buy it.

Edited by MY1PATH