little water/starter help

jeffrhine

Assuming it doesn't turn over at all when you turn the key:

Try hitting your starter with something solid like a hammer a few times and see if it turns over. I've got a good OEM starter I'll sell you if you need one.

If water gets into the connecting terminals and solenoid, brushes, etc. in the starter it can mess it up, especially muddy water like that. Over time it will corrode the connections as well.

You could take the starter out and take it apart and make sure everything is dry and clean.

Do you think that would be deep enough from the picture? I might have went alittle deeper actually.

A side pic would be better to tell...

But yeah if the truck was sitting level in the water and the starter was submerged for a while it could cause problems...

Or you might have gotten some other connector wet :shrug:

Does it make any kind of noise?

Edited by Kingman

just makes a soft click when I try to turn it over. It was that level around the whole truck, had to pull out my friends yota :stickwack: and he almost hydrolocked his truck

Edited by jeffrhine

check your starter cable and connections. if you have a multimeter, check for current draw at the starter (or check for resistance if your meter doesn't measure current). you may be getting the full voltage from the battery, but high resistance will drop your amperage and cause a no-start. of course, check voltage at the battery.

also, hit the starter a little harder. rinse it out with a hose if you want. a little water isn't going to hurt it. the sediment is what will give you problems.

if it clicks when you try and start it, it means the pinion is not being thrown out to engage the flex plate/flywheel. it's either not receiving enough current or is being blocked by debris. if the circuit was dead, it would not click.

sorry to interrupt here...is it possible the engine got simply hydrolocked ?? I mean, we all seen smaller puddle doing the job....so the engine might not turn because of that ?? Just a thought...

Well, from reading this, it seems like it ran after it came out of the water, but didn't start again next time he went to start it (am I right?).

If this is the case, and it clicks, it could be that a good amount of derbris couold have gotten in, and the little metal thing that pushes the starter gear to the flywheel could have broke. OR you could have a broke bearing. I put money on this. Happened to me before in my old Accord, and i just replaced the bearing (with a skateboard wheel bearing at that!) and it worked fine again. Sooooo, your best bet is to remove the starter and take a look inside!