engine removal

lbcpathy88

Hello All;

I wanted to know if anyone could help guide me on how to remove the flywheel bolts on my 88 pathfinder v6. I was going to have the heads redone after my pathy overheated: however when i was ready to install them i noticed the the midle cylender on the passenger side had aluminum on the walls of the cylder. At this point I decided it was better

to have the whole engine rebuilt. I already took out the front dif, removed the starter and heads are still off. I also removed a plate that covers the trans housing on the drivers side. This is where I thought i might find access to the flywheel bolts,( wrong) there is two shims that cover any access to the flywheel from here.

I looked at the Hanes automotive manual for help. It did not guide at all. It stated to remove the cover on the trans and gain access thru there. It seems quite easy in the book. I never realized that the picture in the book did not look anything like my trans cover. At this point I am almost ready to throw in the towel and tow the pathy to a garage. If

anyone can give me some details on how to remove the bolts I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

lbcpathy88

I'm assuming you mean the 4 bolts that connect the flywheel to the torque converter?

Its been a while since I put the rebuilt engine in mine but you do have to go through where the tranny and engine meet up. It was a real PITA and caused a lot of bad-language but can be done. IIRC you must remove the metal plates (shims?) covering the flywheel first. We used an air-wratchet to break them loose (although this destroyed one of the bolt heads and had to get new ones).

THE OTHER OPTION: Twist the flywheel round until the torque converter pops out of the transmission and remove it after you have pulled the engine.

Good luck with it and be patient! Remember to support the tranny while you do this. When it is finally disconnected you can shift it back a bit to get a little more clearance.

I hope I can help here, but it's been a few yrs since I did that. Access to those bolts will be on the passenger side around the area where the starter is. Make sure you have removed any build up of grease and dirt around that area as there are bolts that are used to hold a cover on. Behind that cover is the hole where you can see the bolts.

If I'm off on this, someone please correct me!

I hope I can help here, but it's been a few yrs since I did that. Access to those bolts will be on the passenger side around the area where the starter is. Make sure you have removed any build up of grease and dirt around that area as there are bolts that are used to hold a cover on. Behind that cover is the hole where you can see the bolts.

If I'm off on this, someone please correct me!

you are right! there is an access hole. Have to turn the engine over to access each bolt.