Vibrating humming sound on 2001

SimplyRed

My 2001 Pathfinder just started to make a vibrating humming sound from the front, around the pulleys. Today is the first warm day since October 2008 and this noise just started. Was wondering if someone else has experienced it and knows what it could be. seems to be around 1200 rpm and gets louder and you can feel it more at 1500rpm, then disappears above 1700 rpm. TIA for any help.

I have kinda of a humm sound that started on mine too but it's caused by my flexible exhaust pipe that's underneath... I have the same symptoms which is around 1500 1900 rpm then goes away higher than this... this is why i would thought it might be exhaust related..not pulley related....

have you listened to it while someone else was reving your rig or are you listening it from inside?? i know sometimes, if you're inside, you feel the noise is coming fromoneplace but really is notfrom there....

just my 2 cents..

I hate a similar problem with my '98; turned out it was the exhaust. The heat shields along the pipes were totally f*ckered and oxidized to the point most of the screws either bonded with the shields or just disintegrated due to heat and vibrations.

Solution was to just remove the heat shields. Sounds better ever since! :aok:

Seems like it might be my altenator, this morning my battery light, A/T Oil Temp light and the one with the exclamation light all came on. I put an ohm meter and the battery is down to under 12 volts, 11.73 and doesn't change when the engine is running. Noise is gone now also.

Has anyone changed the altenator on the 3.5L. It looks like I'll have to remove the fan shroud to get at it, it's at the bottom. Can it be done from the top or should it be done from the bottom. Any tips.

Edited by SimplyRed