New guy from CT

Rallybob

Hello all. I recently aquired a 1992 Pathfinder. It was bought new by my sister, but she passed away some years ago and I inherited it from my father a short while ago.

Since I have no intentions of getting rid of it due to sentimental value, I decided I will do a pseudo-restoration to it as well as make some upgrades to suit my needs. Naturally, being a New England vehicle it has significant rust: I recently repaired the floor under the rear seat and built a custom stainless exhaust for it as well. It has the typical rear framerail rot and the rocker panels are starting to go....however I had a local shop bend me up some 14 gauge steel rocker replacements so they won't rot out again in my lifetime.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to getting some ideas here about typical problem areas/solutions, as well as upgrades to the suspension. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Hello Bob and welcome to NPORA.

It sounds like you are doing a good job with the pathy already. Other than rust, some other things to pay attention to are the timing belt, the bushings for the rod from the lower control arm to the frame and the center link. Let me repeat timing belt. The replacement interval for your truck is every 60k miles. If there is any doubt when it was last replaced, plan to do so soon!!

There is information on suspension work here, everything from 'poor mans lift' to solid axle swaps. Try searching for the information, then post when you have questions or problems.

B

Hello Bob and welcome to NPORA.

It sounds like you are doing a good job with the pathy already. Other than rust, some other things to pay attention to are the timing belt, the bushings for the rod from the lower control arm to the frame and the center link. Let me repeat timing belt. The replacement interval for your truck is every 60k miles. If there is any doubt when it was last replaced, plan to do so soon!!

There is information on suspension work here, everything from 'poor mans lift' to solid axle swaps. Try searching for the information, then post when you have questions or problems.

B

Thanks for the welcome. I did the last timing belt myself, but that was in 1999! I replaced all the accessory belts last week, and luckily I had written the date and mileage of the last timing belt change on the A/C tensioner plate...so I'm already overdue by 8000 miles. I knew my father wouldn't remember if he had serviced it since then, glad I wrote it down! So I bought a timing belt and am just looking to free up my lift again to change it.

I did all the front end steering parts about 80k ago, and added a steering dampener back then. Everything still feels very tight. Looking to upgrade to an idler arm stabilizer however. Still feels solid, I had it up on my lift and checked everything out. Other than the frame, nothing really scared me. Those bushings you mentioned...they're intact but not looking great! It's on my 'to do' list as well.

I'd like to do torsion bars, rear springs, and all the bushings ideally. And maybe a body lift. I want to fit 31 x 12.5 x 15 tires under it, I prefer the 'wide' look rather than just taller tires. So I'm going to have to make some custom fender flares, just haven't decided if I want to make them in metal or composite (I'm a fabricator so either is no big deal to make). Then a front and rear bumper, roof rack, etc.

Thanks again,

Bob

Sounds like you are in good shape then, other than the modifications you wish to make. Many of the WD21s came with a factory option of 31"x10.5" tires, so putting on 31"x12.5" tires shouldn't take much, if any modification. Perhaps just trim the fender flares a bit?? :shrug:

You'll need some new rims though. 3.75-4" back spacing seems to be stock and ideal.

B