Hello to all

LawDawg

Hello to all,

New guy here in Greensboro NC. Screen name Lawdawg but everyone calls me OC. I have been reading the forum for about a month and posted in "new guys start here" tried the search but did not find answer to my question

Been toying with the idea of raising my 2000 Pathy. I am in need at this time of tires so I thought I would plus 0 or 1 from 255/65x16 to either 255/70x16 or push it to 265/70x16 without doing any body or suspension lift yet, but that is coming. Anyone out there have input on the best and safest size. I also am thinking about a brush guard, but not to exspensive, any decent ones available from a reputable online house. Thanks alot.

Hey there OC. I don't know the R50 generation well but know many members run larger tires. Best and safest really just means what type of driving you do most and what can be run without interference. I recommend turning the wheels lock to lock and looking at the clearances (remember to consider suspension compression, you can use a jack to simulate this) as this will give you a good idea as to how much room you have for bigger tires. From there a tire size calculator helps a lot. there are many different ones on the web, but I find myself using this one frequently.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Your first replacement consideration is only 1" larger in diameter (3.1" circumference) so I can't imagine there would be any issues.

Your second replacement consideration is only 1.5" larger in diameter (4.9" circumference) so again, I can't imagine there would be any issues.

It is often a good idea to do lifts and suspension work first so you don't wind up with a set of tires smaller than you really would like unless you plan to have 2 sets of tires; 1 for daily driving and 1 for fun.

I'm sure others will chime in soon.

B

Oh, another thing to do is look in the members rigs section for similar trucks and see what size tires they are running, even PMing them with questions...

Hey there OC. I don't know the R50 generation well but know many members run larger tires. Best and safest really just means what type of driving you do most and what can be run without interference. I recommend turning the wheels lock to lock and looking at the clearances (remember to consider suspension compression, you can use a jack to simulate this) as this will give you a good idea as to how much room you have for bigger tires. From there a tire size calculator helps a lot. there are many different ones on the web, but I find myself using this one frequently.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Your first replacement consideration is only 1" larger in diameter (3.1" circumference) so I can't imagine there would be any issues.

Your second replacement consideration is only 1.5" larger in diameter (4.9" circumference) so again, I can't imagine there would be any issues.

It is often a good idea to do lifts and suspension work first so you don't wind up with a set of tires smaller than you really would like unless you plan to have 2 sets of tires; 1 for daily driving and 1 for fun.

I'm sure others will chime in soon.

B

Oh, another thing to do is look in the members rigs section for similar trucks and see what size tires they are running, even PMing them with questions...

if the search function doesn't yeald results, just look through the r50 forums. there has been a lot of tire discussion in the past as well as all the other things. one thing though, r50s are are unibody thus no body lift; just a suspension one.