240sx 1990

GEOz2k7

Hey guys, i bought a 1990 240sx, and i also have a 1990 pathfinder. My 240 i got 2 days ago and there is a loud wining noise coming from either the transmission or the throw out bearing. When i have the clutch out at idle the throw out bearing wines like crazy. and when i drive it wines a lot to. Do you think it could be just the throw out bearing making the noise? and its only when i am on the gas. Also, is there any custom long travel kits for the pathfinder that u guys would recomend checking in to? thanks guys.

have the tranny checked i had the same probelm with my ZX and had the bearings replaced and it went away then came back right away to find out the tranny was completly messed up. I can almost guarantee thats exactly what it is 99% positive thats it but you never know

Edited by edicer2

have the tranny checked i had the same probelm with my ZX and had the bearings replaced and it went away then came back right away to find out the tranny was completly messed up. I can almost guarantee thats exactly what it is 99% positive thats it but you never know

SOHC trannies are a dime a dozen. Even if it is bad, they are easy to replace and cheap to get a hold of.

Hey guys, i bought a 1990 240sx, and i also have a 1990 pathfinder. My 240 i got 2 days ago and there is a loud wining noise coming from either the transmission or the throw out bearing. When i have the clutch out at idle the throw out bearing wines like crazy. and when i drive it wines a lot to. Do you think it could be just the throw out bearing making the noise? and its only when i am on the gas. Also, is there any custom long travel kits for the pathfinder that u guys would recomend checking in to? thanks guys.

ac (4x4parts.com) sells a long a-arm kit for the pathy, but for that price you could do a SAS 2x, plus to you have to run wheel spacers in the rear so the track width is the same, and you have to get the fiberglass wide fender kit for it to make it somewhat street legal. you only gain about 4" of travel (11" total)

SOHC trannies are a dime a dozen. Even if it is bad, they are easy to replace and cheap to get a hold of.

are the zx trannies the same as others? I couldnt find any manual ones that would work right and I had to drive to a different state just to get one for my car.

Ik the ones for a 240sx are everywhere but i think mine was different so it was a bitch to find.

Edited by edicer2

are the zx trannies the same as others? I couldnt find any manual ones that would work right and I had to drive to a different state just to get one for my car.

Ik the ones for a 240sx are everywhere but i think mine was different so it was a bitch to find.

The Z31 tranny or the Z32 trans? We use the Z32 trans in 240's with an adapter plate for cars pushing more than 400whp, but don't bother for anything less than that. I'd have to double check my part numbers to see what bolts up to the Z31.

On the old drag car I worked on, we'd avg 7 runs out of the car with 630whp on the stock trans before it'd snap the output shaft like a toothpick.

The Z31 tranny or the Z32 trans? We use the Z32 trans in 240's with an adapter plate for cars pushing more than 400whp, but don't bother for anything less than that. I'd have to double check my part numbers to see what bolts up to the Z31.

On the old drag car I worked on, we'd avg 7 runs out of the car with 630whp on the stock trans before it'd snap the output shaft like a toothpick.

yeah i figured you used the newer one. the turboed trany for the z31 like i have in my sig can hold up to 500whp. not to bad IMO but yeah he should check his tranny it sounded just like when my NA one took a @!*% on me

yeah i figured you used the newer one. the turboed trany for the z31 like i have in my sig can hold up to 500whp. not to bad IMO but yeah he should check his tranny it sounded just like when my NA one took a @!*% on me

The Z31 used a couple of different trannies. Listed by strength of trans...

FS5R30A (same internals as the Z32)

FS5W71C (same internals as the 240SX, besides the bellhousing)

FS5R90A (noodle of the early model turbo's)