Cleaning the MAF on a 3.5?

nmpath

My MPG has gotten pretty bad lately and I am trying everything to get it back. I know my 32's dont help but I used to get 300 miles per tank in town and now im getting 240. Do you guys think I could try cleaning the MAF? Im worried I might kill it and have to buy a new MAF.

Are these miles highway? I am hardly clearing 200 miles city--using 18 gallons thats a MPG number like 11.5 !!

Winter oxygenated gas is in right now so mileage goes down, but to clean the MAF is super easy...just make sure the MAF cleaner you buy says that it is safe for use on all MAF's and spray your MAF from as many angles as possible...then let it dry for a few minutes--reinstall voila!!

58K here.

the ony way you can proactively kill it by accident is if you damage the platinum heating elements/wires.

dont forget to pull the battery and let the ecm reset. it may then run a bit rough for about 20 minutes as it relearns all the parameters (paraphrasing the manuals).

or you could let it throw a code if cleaning made a huge difference, then as you clear the code, the ecm looks for new parameters for the MAF without messing with the other stored parameters.

if it is bad mileage, cleaning MAF is a good/inexpensive thing to do. if the maf is damaged or dying, driveability will suffer (ie. bad idle, stalling, etc.)