Door Locks.......again

MaritimeMan

Ok, before I did anything, I researched using the search option, and found a few posts, but no solutions.

Now for the problem. It is a typical door lock problem, when I go to unlock the doors, the locks seem to struggle up at times, and then pop back down. Even times when they don't struggle up, they still pop back down. At fist, this problem was rectified by unlocking the doors again, but now, they will do it three, four times in a row, and is rather annoying. My next step is to check the connection to the switch on the driver door, but is there anything else I can do to clear this up? I remember seeing something about relay contact cleaning on a post, but don't remember if that was even door related. Thanks for the help, as always.

M.M.

P.S. I'm back for good now, my travels were a blast, but its good to be home.

its probably something mechanical rather than electrical ... like a bushing or or something out of adjustment ... check your drivers side before any others as that is obviously the most used door ...

BTW - good to see you back on here!

Had the same prob on my '87 Pathy AND '91 pickup. The prob on my rigs was traced with a lot of tearing apart, to a little yellow plastic bushing/connector that ties the door lock button to the doorkey to the inside doorhandle. It's a B to get to unless you have "Olive Oyl" arms. They only cost a buck or two @ Nissan, but be ready to beat your head on the nearest brick wall. :furious:

You'll have to drop the doorkey lock out of the door amongst other things, and be sure not to lose the flat, white plastic spacer that fits inside of the yellow bushing thingy ! It spreads the split bushing so it stays in place in the actuating arms for your doorhandle/doorlock.

Hope this is of some :help:

The Toad

hi! I had same problem .In my case ,after a considerable period of auto locking problem , the connector from door lock mechanism to door latch eventually broke[not exactly what was described above but a different part of same mechanism]-- key would not unlock door anymore. When Nissan replced mechanism [ for an outrageous fee] the uncontrolled automatic locking problem went away.

Well, I've been lookin about, but the problem has gotten somewhat worse. Now on occasion, they like to unlock after a lock attempt. It seems that the movement is restricted, and the locks are held back, causing them to return to which ever position they came from. I'll look into all of those ideas, and let you know how it turns out, however, I am very hesitant to take her to a dealer, as one they charge way too much, and well, its just a pain. I'll keep ya'll posted on what I find, thanks,

M.M.

Yeah, my little yellow plastic door lock thingy broke too. It wasn't for power door locks, I don't know if they have different mechanisms. But, the power locks on Pathfinders do act like that and I don't think I've ever seen a fix on here. Just don't leave your keys in the car and shut the door...it may lock on you and leave you stranded for as long as it takes for someone to come. But, it is a beach to get to the yellow plastic thingy mechanism on the manual non power locks. We rigged up a piece of aluminum and drilled a hole and used that instead of the plastic. It won't break and it's much better, or seems to be for the last 6 months. Plastic is ridiculous, whoever designed that should be beaten with millions of the little yellow things. But, if you're going to try to take the door panel off and check it out...I wish you luck and you'd better save up your swear words if you have a swear jar you put money in because you'll be paying at least $50 bucks after all the cussing you do. It took me about an hour to mess with a needle nose plier and screwdriver and whatever else looking upside down trying to hold a flashlight because light doesn't enter and I was about ready to rip the whole door off and throw it like a shotput thingy. Anyway, I'd personally just deal with it (my parents do) and not let it bother you. They've learned to unlock the door and open it while the key is still turned so it won't pop back down.

I'm not sure if what I have on my '87 SE can be construed as "power locks". They're obviously all hooked together, i.e.: one turn on the driver's side unlocks both doors & the tailgate, or if you push the button on the driver's side it locks them all. Certainly not a "keyless entry" type system, and with no separate switch for lock/unlock like alot of cars..... :confused:

Plastic is ridiculous, whoever designed that should be beaten with millions of the little yellow things.
Boy is that a NS'er !!! ROFLMFAO Thank the "engineers" that can afford to pay to have someone work on their rigs. Those of us that can't have to save up to have U-joints installed in their arms to reach all their little marvels... :furious:

UPDATE : my driver's door has done it again, passenger door will not unlock at all.... you can't even unlock with the top button! If I lock the "darn" thing you have to climb in the tailgate and unlock the driver's door by hand... THANK YOU, Nissan :clap: