'97 Crank Position Sensor Replacement - Need Help.

Jetmugg

I recently bought a '97 Pathy (3.3L, 5-speed). It has a SES code P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor). I have purchsed the sensor, and I have the factory service manual for the vehicle. The previous owner had the clutch replaced some time back, and I suspect that the sensor was damaged during re-installation.

I consider myself a pretty good mechanic, and have a good bit of experience working on all kinds of vehicles.

I'm looking for some advice on replacing this crankshaft position sensor. I can't see or touch the sensor, either from above or below. I've removed the tranny crossmember so that I can jack the rear of the tranny up, and let it down as much as possible with the motor mounts and driveshafts still attached. There is just not enough room for me to get my hands or eyes on the sensor. I have removed the hood from the truck to allow me to lay across the top of the engine, but still no luck.

The FSM isn't much help, it just says basically remove and replace the sensor, without specific step-by-step pictorial instructions.

I understand that the sensor is located at the approximate 11:00 position on the back of the engine / front of the transmission location, I just haven't been able to get to it yet. I think my next step is to remove the front driveshaft to allow more room to reach around from the underside.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has done this job before.

Thank You,

Steve M.

Just to make it more clear, its located on the transmission bellhousing itself. I got to mine via the top of the engine and the bottom. When i did a tranny swap I actually ripped out the wires so it was a bigger pain but it can be done. I went through the top to disconnect the plug that was still on the back then I went in through the bottom with a 10 mm wrench to loosen and take out the sensor. I was able to take it out from the bottom if i remember correctly. You could try jacking the back of the trans all the way up and then going through the engine bay again. The same for letting the trans droop all the way.

Thank you very much. Knowing that the sensor actually bolts through the bellhousing should make it easier. At least I know where to look and feel for the sensor. I just purchased a FSM for the truck, and I'm a bit disappointed in the level of detail for some of the service operations.

I was trying to look more at the junction between the tranny and block. Knowing that it bolts through the tranny bellhousing is very helpful information. I assume it's actually a couple of inches back from the tranny/engine seam?

Thanks again,

SteveM.

It sounds like you're close to getting at the sensor so maybe a quick picture will help you find it. This is a picture of the bellhousing off my stock transmission when I did my engine swap. Keep in mind that I had about half an inch taken off the face of the bellhousing which explains why you can see the actual "channel" that the CPS sits in. The big channel is where the CPS sensor goes and the small threaded one next to it is the 10mm (wrench size) bolt that holds it in. If you don't already have a set of them, a 10mm ratcheting wrench is extremely handy for these things!

I'm under the impression that it is much easier to access from underneath than from the top. You can tilt the transmission down a fair amount for access but just watch your engine mounts closely and make sure they aren't ripping. They're pretty soft and fragile.

IMG_0117.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I just finished replacing the sensor. WHEW, what a tough spot to get to. I'm glad my arms aren't any bigger than they are.

The old sensor was definitely broken. I think there's about a 98% chance that it was damaged when the PO had the clutch replaced.

Once again, this forum is extremely helpful and valuable. This was one of those jobs that I'm not sure I could have completed without some help. I couldn't see or feel the sensor at all without lowering the back of the tranny as low as it would go.

SteveM.

how'd you get at it?

I got it from underneath, working mostly by feel. I pulled the front driveshaft out to make room for my arm, took the tranny crossmember off to lower the back of the tranny, and used a small box-end 10mm wrench to get the bolt loose. (a 10mm gear wrench wouldn't quite fit). To get the electric plug disconnected, I jacked up the rear of the tranny and worked from above, just as described in one of your previous posts, nissandoms47.

No more "Service Engine Soon" light.

I also changed the rear lower control arms, as the truck was suffering from the "death wobble as well". The death wobble is gone now.

All in all, a pretty productive weekend.

Thanks for the help guys,

SteveM.

what was symptomes of broken sensor in your case? i wonder if mine is dying too. my pathfinder is auto.

When I bought it (about 3 weeks ago), it had a constant "Service Engine Soon" light showing. I took it to Autozone and had them scan the code. It was P0335 (crankshaft position sensor).

What I have learned since then is that the sensor is not needed for the engine to run properly. It is only used to identify which cylinder is misfiring if there is a case of a misfire.

My sensor was physically broken when I pulled it out. The previous owners had recently had a clutch put in, and I suspect that the sensor was broken during this installation.

The only way to identify that there is a problem is if it throws a code.

SteveM.

When I bought it (about 3 weeks ago), it had a constant "Service Engine Soon" light showing. I took it to Autozone and had them scan the code. It was P0335 (crankshaft position sensor).

What I have learned since then is that the sensor is not needed for the engine to run properly. It is only used to identify which cylinder is misfiring if there is a case of a misfire.

My sensor was physically broken when I pulled it out. The previous owners had recently had a clutch put in, and I suspect that the sensor was broken during this installation.

The only way to identify that there is a problem is if it throws a code.

SteveM.

Thank you Steve, i will keep this information in mind.

Happy new year.