RPM conflict

Andrizzle

1988 3.0L SE

Okay hey everyone. It has been a while since I posted. My last problem I had with horrible stuttering and poor idle was finally put to an end with a dist. and new plugs.

Unfortunately I didnt have time to do this myself - so I got rocked by a mechanic. Anyways, 300 dollars later my pathfinder seems ot be running great!

The only problem I have now is - they readjusted my idle speeds and I do not like it. I have a High Output alternator and it really only starts putting out major voltage @ 1000 RPM+. This is what my car used to idle @ before taking it to the shop. SO when I got my car back, I went for a test drive, every dtoplight with some type of electircal load would drop my voltage to the low 13s range. My lights would all dim, and once i tapped the gas, brightness!

So I have been playing with the idle speed (the screw facing my passenger side). And I can get it to a point where it doesnt drop when in gear (like @ a stoplight). But then when I put it in park -its wayyyy too high 2k RPM range.

So I am wanting the higher voltage while in gear and on the brakes - But make it not jump up so high when in Park. It seems every turn on that screw - doesnt have any affect until almost a full turn - which then it jumps up considerably.

Any ideas on how to acheive what I want? There is a screw in front of the screw I have been adjusting, but it faces the sky? What is this adjuster?

I've got the smallest pulley possible on it already. Every 0.01 of a volt counts for me. (car audio competitor). This is the reason I have the HO Alt in the first place. I have 5 batteries in my car to charge!

So the adjuster facing the sky is to adjust what eactly?

I've got the smallest pulley possible on it already. Every 0.01 of a volt counts for me. (car audio competitor). This is the reason I have the HO Alt in the first place. I have 5 batteries in my car to charge!

So the adjuster facing the sky is to adjust what eactly?

I think that's the fast idle screw. When I adjusted mine, I didn't know about the lower screw, and when the truck was warm, it would idle at 900rpm after adjusting. The next morning I started it and it idled in park at 2 grand, then 1500 in drive. I'm under the impression that adjusts the idle for the engine being cold (screw facing the sky), and the other one adjusts the idle for being warm (facing the fender) :shrug:

I'm sure someone on here who knows more about this will chime in eventually, but that's just my general take on it

Edited by kingman92010

that is correct, it ajusts the fast idle for faster warmups.

have you considered a mean green alty? 4x4parts sells them, 180 amp is more than any HO alty will offer.

mean green also released a 200amp and they claim that output @ idle. but good luck getting ahold of them, they haven't responded my emails for one.

I already have the alt. I've had it for over 2 years. Its 200amp from Iraggi Alternators.

So the screw facing the Sky adjusts warm up idle. And the screw facing the passenger side adjusts Running Idle speed?

Is this correct?

I already have the alt. I've had it for over 2 years. Its 200amp from Iraggi Alternators.

So the screw facing the Sky adjusts warm up idle. And the screw facing the passenger side adjusts Running Idle speed?

Is this correct?

Yeeeep.

Well it has been cold as crap lately. And I have been running out of light so I haven't messed with it yet. But I will get to it tomorow most likely.

I would add a second alt, but the fabrication to mount another alt would probbaly cost alot of money. And I am happy with what I have now, but down the road if I ever go even more hardcore into the Car Audio scene I defintely would consider it.

Do you have exprience with it or something?

No...... but... thinking about it...

How hard would it be to alter a pully (eg, weld on a second pully alongside it) and mount a 2nd alternator that's powered off the welded-on pully wheel? Would have to be PERFECTLY straight, but shuold be possible.

Are you saying put a pulley on top of the alternators existing pulley? then running a belt to another alt off that? Interesting... but I dont think that would work. I dont think there is even enough room down there to add a second alt without major fab work. The onyl thing i can think of is sacrificing your AC to add an alt. Even that will require a elaborate bracket of some sort