Exhaust stud TSB?

Seattle_Al

Has anyone been able to gets their dealer to perform this repair on Nissan's dime? (and does anyone have the TSB # or have access to alldata.com? )

I've got a bone stock '95 SE that I've owned since new (77,000 miles) that just started making the "TICKing" sound from the right bank when cold. The local dealer is pleading ignorance... :huh:

Thanks! Also helps that Google is now back up...

As a fall back, does anyone have recommendation for a competent exhaust shop in the Seattle/Bellevue area? I'm probably just going to go ahead and replace all the studs with the 300zx version, and go with a set ot the ceramic Thorleys :aok:

Exhaust Manifold Stud Breakage and Associated "Ticking" Noise

Pathfinders with the VG30i and VG30E engines were built with weak exhaust manifold studs that are prone to breaking because the exhaust manifolds tend to expand unevenly when warming up and cooling down. This causes the infamous "ticking" noise often heard from the front of Pathfinders which quiets down after the manifolds have heated up sufficiently. This applies to all Pathfinders from 1987 through 1996. Nissan knows about this problem, and any Pathfinder with the original studs and less than 100,000 miles on the odometer can be brought back to the dealership for a recall fix, free of charge, if I remember correctly. Installing revised manifold studs are the best solution to this problem. Extracting broken studs from your V6 heads is a BIG pain in the arse. One person recommends striking the ends of broken off studs several times with an impact tool or hammer to loosen the studs a bit before trying to remove them with either a stud extractor or vice grips. Soaking the studs and nuts overnight (at least) in PB Blaster or WD-40 is a must.  If you choose to drill a broken stud to remove it, be very VERY careful, because the water jacket of the engine comes very close to the exhaust stud holes. It's entirely possible to drill a hole accidentally into your water jacket, which would be a Bad Thing To Do.

The revised manifold stud Nissan part number is: 14065-V5004 Revised Exhaust Manifold Stud. They're essentially 300ZX twin turbo studs, and they're made of a different type of steel with a more similar coefficient of expansion that doesn't tend to break like the standard ones.

the studs talked about in here are the ones i'm getting installed on the truck tomorrow: