Rancho RSX shocks

slade420

I was wondering if anyone has used the Rancho RSX shocks on their lifted pathfinder. there is a lot of talk about RS5000 pins, but does anyone know the part numbers for the RSX models. i have a 93' 4 door/without tire carrier, and plan to do the JGC spring lift. I guess im looking for the RSX equivalent to the RS5112. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

UPDATE:

After doing some searching, the Rancho RSX17030 is the closest ive found in length to the RS5112.

(Rear Shocks)

RSX-17030: 26.375" Extended Length

16.125" Collapsed Length

upper and lower mounts: Eyelets

Rancho 5000 rs5112: 26.25" Extended Length

16.00" Collapsed Length

upper and lower mounts: Eyelets

I still have to find pin #s for the front, but i think ill be going with the RSX over the RS5000.

let me know what you think.

Any particular reason for hte decision?

how much are the RSX's?

the RSX shock is the step up from the RS5000, it has self adjusting valves. The sales pitch from summitracing.com describes it better than i can.

"Rancho's affordable RSX17000 shocks automatically adjust themselves to the terrain, providing a better ride--on or off-road. These shocks have a valve system that instantaneously reacts to shock compression. During more aggressive compression caused by rough surfaces, the valve automatically opens to reduce ride harshness. During lighter compression, the valve closes to give you tighter handling and a smoother ride. Other features include nitrogen gas-charged twin-tube construction, bright red urethane mounting bushings, and a red convoluted boot to protect the shaft."

$61.99 each from Summit Racing.

back again with another update. After looking at almost every RSX shock on summitracing.com i found one with similar

lengths.

The Rancho RSX-17079 - extended length of 15.125" and a collapsed length of 10.375"

The Rancho 5000 RS-5214 -extended length of 14.99" and a collapsed length of 9.7"

On the Rancho site it says the RSX's are made for each vehicles specific weight. That being said, what would be the side effects of using a shock for a bigger vehicle like a chevy silverado? The RSX-17079 front shock is very close in length, but is ment for a larger vehicle.

The rear ones, RSX17030 (26.375" Extended length, 16.125" Collapsed Length) say on summitracing.com that they are for ford/mazda... which would be a Ranger. that is closer in weight to a Pathy than a silverado.

if anyone has any thoughts on the subject, please post away.

On the Rancho site it says the RSX's are made for each vehicles specific weight. That being said, what would be the side effects of using a shock for a bigger vehicle like a chevy silverado

Probably bruise your kidneys bad enough after the first 100 miles that you would piss blood for a week... :shrug:

B

Probably bruise your kidneys bad enough after the first 100 miles that you would piss blood for a week... :shrug:

B

Well then... we dont want that :S

also...

with the rs5214 being 14.99" ex. and 9.5" collapsed. compared to the RSX 17079 being 15.125" extended, 10.375 collapsed, that would be 3/4" less travel with the RSX right? so my search continues... ill probably go with the RS5000's up front if i cant find a suitable pair of RSX shocks.

Well then... we dont want that

No, we don't. On the other hand, we don't want to scare you... ;)

Vehicles of similar weight, shock spec, interchanging them is ok. Don't think there is much of a bonus going for stiffer unless you like abuse...

Honestly, I don't know the shock specs for the lifted pathy, especially since they are not always the same. Spring tension, weight, torsion bar tension, uca's, etc... Honestly, I'd say if you are with in 3/4 inch, you are close enough, unless you are going for max articulation, rock crawling, etc... Have you removed your sway bars, bump stops yet? If not, You'll never know that the shocks are limiting you... ;)

B

Im not too concerned about another 3/4" travel, it was just something i thought of while writing my post. Im gonna go with the rs5000's up front anyway and RSX in the rear. i havent taken any parts off yet ( sway bars... bump stops), im more or less waiting for my parts to arrive before i start ripping stuff off.

Ive read that taking off the rear sway bar helps with articulation, but is it nessesary for the front to be removed as well? are the results noticable? Also, does removing the bump stops make a big difference, and dont they help when you bottom out?